Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 101.]

Deeds—No. 101.

Claims of Tlrarau and Te Manihera to Poupouwhenua, Whangarei, Extingutshed.

He pukapuka tuku whenua tenei na te Manihera ratou ko era atu tangata i tuhituhia 1854. 14 July.Whangarei District. ki Whahgarei i tenei ra i (14) tekau ma wa o nga ra o Hurae i te tau o to tatou Ariki Poupouwhenua kotahi maho waru rau ma rima tekau ma wa. Ko te Manihera ko teTatau ko te Maremare ko Poa ko te Karekare ko Reneti nga tangata e pa ana ki te Rauiri ki Poupouwhenua ka whakaae matou ki te tuku i tenei wahi o to matou whenua kia te Kuini Wikitoria. E whakaae ana hoki te Kuini o Engarani ki utu mai ki a matou kia tekau pauna moni i homai kia Receipt for for £10. matou i te ringaringa o te Honiana i tenei rangi.
page 138
Kua oti o matou whakaaro katoa ki Poupouwhenua ko ona rohe enei: ka timata ki te Takahiwae haere tonu i roto i taua awa ka kake i runga i te kaha marere noa ki te moana Boundaries. ka haere i te akau ka anga i roto i Whangarei ki te puwaha o taua awa o Takahiwae.

Kua oti rawa tenei wahi ki a te Kuini Wikitoria me ona awa, roto, rerenga wai, tarutaru, raupo me nga mea katoa i runga i te whenua i raro o te whenua me nga wahi pai me nga wahi kino; koia matou ka tuhituhi i to matou ingoa i tenei rangi i te ao marama me te Honiana tetahi kai whakarite mo te Kawana o Nui Tireni hoki e whakaae ana ki nga korero o te pukapuka koia ka tuhituhi hoki i tona ingoa.

John Grant Johnson,
Dist. Commissioner.
Manihera, mo nga tangata.

I te aroaro o—

William Bedlington.

Translation.

1854. 14 July.Whangarei District. This is a Deed or conveyance of Land executed by Manihera and his tribe at Whangarei on the (14) fourteenth day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty four (1854).
Now we Manihera, Tatau, Te Maremare, Poa, and Kare Kare and Reneti being the claimants Poupouwhenua. of a piece of Land called the Rauiri at Poupouwhenua do consent to sell our claims Receipt for £10. to this portion of our Land to Queen Victoria and the Queen Victoria on her part consents to pay us the sum of Ten pounds which we have received at the hands of Mr. Johnson this day. We hereby withdraw all our claims on Poupouwhenua the following Boundaries. being the boundaries Commencing at a stream called the Takahiwae going in the course of the aforesaid stream to its sources it then ascends the range and goes along the top of the range until it falls into the sea thence along the sea beach to the mouth of Whangarei to the mouth of the aforesaid river of the Takahiwae.

The aforesaid Land has been absolutely surrendered to the Queen Victoria with all its rivers, Lakes, waterfalls, grasses, raupo with everything above the Land and below the Land all the good places, all the had places.

Therefore we sign our names this day likewise Mr. Johnson a Commissioner on the part of the Governor of New Zealand does give his consent to the provisions of this Deed and sign his name below.

(Sd.) John Grant Johnson, D.C.
Manihera, for the tribe.

In the presence of—

(Signed) William Bedlington.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton. Wellington, March 18th, 1875.