Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 107.]

Deeds—No. 107.

Maungakaramea No. 2 Block, Whangarei District.

No te rima o nga ra o Oketopa ka tuhituhia to matou pukapuka tuku whenua ki Maraekura 1855. 11 December.Whangarei District. ka tukua e matou e nga rangatira o Ngaipou o Ngaipo o Ngatiouenuku o te Maungaunga o Ngatihaua kia te Kuini o Ingarani ki ona uri i muri i a ia ake tonu atu taua Maungakaramea No. II. whenua ko Maungakaramea he utu mo nga pauna moni e rua mano e waru rau takitahi £2800 e rua mano (£2000) o aua moni i riro mai ki roto i o matou ringaringa i a te Honiana he Kai whakarite whenua mo te Kawana o Nui Tireni. Ko nga rohe enei o Boundaries. taua whenua ka timata ki Tauoma ki te mareretanga o te rohe o Maunga Tapere ki te moana a haere tonu ki te rohe o Maunga Tapere Wanauroa Pukeatua Otuhi ka anga ki te tonga ka haere i roto i te awa o Torengaua ki tona tutakitanga ki te awa o Waiotama a haere tonu i roto i te awa o Waiotama ki te puaretanga o te awa o Kaitarau ka haere tonu i roto i te awa o Kaitarau ki te puaretanga o te Waiohorua ka haere tonu i te Waiohorua ki tona kouru ka haere ki te taha i raro i te maunga Tangihua o Pukemapau o Horua ka marere ki te wai o Tauraroa a ka haere i roto i te wai o Tauraroa ki Papa-karangia ka heke i runga i te pito o Mahakitai ki te kauru Hira aute ki Tauoma ki te wahi i timata ai. Na kua riro mai i a matou nga pauna e waru rau nga toenga ia o taua Receipt for £800. moni i a Hone Whaiti te Kai whakamaori o nga Kai whakarite whenua i tenei ra koia matou ka tuku rawa i o matou i o matou wahi katoa o taua whenua kia te Kuini Wikitoria o Ingarani koia matou ka tuhituhi i o matou nei ingoa i tenei ra i te tekau ma tahi o nga ra o Tihema i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e waru rau e rima tekau ma rima.

Te Tirarau x his mark.
Manihera x.
Henare Panoho x.
Paraone Koretoki x.
Maremare x.
Parera x. Paroa x.
Tutu x his mark.
Hopa Kikokainga x.
Neho Te Totara x his mark.
Te Tatau x his mark.
Te Rata Tiakiriri x his mark.
Waterea te Araki x his mark.
Riria Ngoingoi x her mark.
Meri Kahu x her mark.
Taurere x her mark.
Rahera Kahukura x.

Witness to signatures and payment of money

John White, Interpreter Land Purchase Dept.

Witness to signatures of Manihera and of Maremare and following parties down to Rahera—

Chas. Davies, Whangarei, Solicitor.

page 146

Translation.

1855. 11 December.Whangarei District. Whereas by a Deed executed by us on the fifth day of October at Maraekura, we the chiefs of Ngaiporo, Ngaipo, Ngati Ouenuku Maungaunga Ngatihaua transferred to the Queen of England and her descendants the land called Maungakaramea in consideration of the sum Mauncakaramea No. II of Two thousand eight hundred pounds (£2800) Two thousand pounds of these monies were paid into our hands by Mr. Johnson, a Commissioner for the purchase of land for the Governor of New Zealand. The boundaries of the land are these—Commencing Boundaries. at Tauoma where the boundary of Maunga Tapere falls into the sea, thence to the boundary of Maunga Tapere, Wanauroa, Pukeatua, Otuhi, thence southwards in the course of the Torengaua stream to its junction with the Waiotama river thence in the Waiotama river to the mouth of the Kaitarau, thence in the Kaitarau to the mouth of the Waiohorua thence in the Waiohorua to its source and on to the lower side of Maunga Tangihua, Pukemapau, Horua, and descending to the Tauraroa stream down the Tauraroa to Papakarangia thence ascending to the point of Mahakitai to the source of Hira aute at Panirairi and by the side of Hira aute to Tauoma where the boundary commenced. Receipt for £800. Now we have received the sum of Eight hundred pounds (£800) being the remainder of the said money from John White Interpreter to the Land Commissioners, on this day; wherefore we give up all our Claims to that land, to the Queen Victoria of England; in witness whereof we hereunto affix our names on this eleventh day of December in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty five (1855).

Te Tirarau x his mark.
Manihera x.
Henare Panoho x.
Paraone Koretoki x.
Maremare x.
Parera x.
Paroa x.
Tutu x his mark.
Neho te Totara x his mark.
Te Tatau x his mark.
Te Rata Tiakiriri x his mark.
Waterea te Arahi x his mark.
Riria to Ngoingoi x her mark.
Mere Kahu x her mark.
Tourerere x her mark.
Hopa Kikokainga x his mark.
Rahera Kahukura x.

Witness to signatures and payment of money—

(Sd.) John White, Interpreter, Land P. Dept.

Witness to signatures of Manihera and of Maremare and following parties down to Rahera—

(Sd.) Charles Davies, Whangarei, Solicitor.

A True Translation.

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

26th March, 1856.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 9th, 1875.