Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 81.]

Deeds—No. 81.

Kauae-o-Ruruwahine No.3 Block, Hokianga District

1875. 12 June.Hokianga District.This Deed, made the twelfth day of June 1875 between Her Majesty Queen Victoria on the one part, and Hone Tako Tupakihi and Hohepa Te Tai of Hokianga Aboriginal Natives of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Vendors") of the Kauae-O-Ruruwahine No. III. other part, witnesseth, that in consideration of the sum of One hundred and thirty four pounds seventeen shillings and six pence (£134 . 17 . 6) by Her Majesty paid to the Receipt for £134 . 17 . 6. Vendors on the execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged), the Vendors do, and each of them doth, hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land containing Two thousand one hundred and fifty eight acres or thereabouts, known or called Kauae o Ruru Wahine No. 3, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule hereto, and delineated on the plan drawn on this Deed and coloured red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining. To hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever. In Witness whereof the Vendors have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Hone Pako.
Tupakihi.
Hohepa Te Tai.

Signed by the said Hone Pako, Tupakihi, and Hohepa Te Tai after the contents had been explained to them by an Interpreter of the Court and they appeared clearly to understand the meaning of the same In the presence of—
Henry A. H. Monro, Judge Native Land Court.
W. Bridson, Clerk N.L. Court.

page 110

Schedule.

Boundaries. [2,158 acres.]Bounded—Towards the North-east by a line four thousand six hundred and twenty-four (4624) links; towards the East by lines five thousand five hundred and sixty (5560) links, four thousand and seventeen (4017) links, and one hundred and five (105) links; towards the South-east by the Kauae-o-Ruruwahine No. 2 Block twenty-five thousand seven hundred (25700) links, and the Warawara Block two thousand seven hundred and fifty-five (2755) links, one thousand two hundred and sixty-nine (1269) links, four hundred and forty-five (445) links, two hundred and ten (210) links, eleven hundred and sixty-two (1162) links, three thousand two hundred and thirty-nine (3239) links, and six thousand seven hundred and forty-seven (6747) links; towards the West by the Whakarawerua Block six hundred and sixty (660) links, six hundred and eighteen (618) links, one thousand six hundred (1600) links, and eight thousand eight hundred and forty (8840) links; and towards the North-west by lines four thousand three hundred and seventy-five (4375) links, eight hundred and twenty-four (824) links, one thousand four hundred (1400) links, one thousand six hundred and seventy-five (1675) links, one thousand and twenty-seven (1027) links, two thousand seven hundred and thirty-five (2735) links, one thousand one hundred and fifty (1150) links, one thousand one hundred and sixty-nine (1169) links, seven hundred (700) links, six hundred and fifty-six (656) links, eight hundred (800) links; six hundred and seventy (670) links, two thousand six hundred and eighty-seven (2687) links, one-thousand three hundred and fifty (1350) links, one thousand three hundred and thirty-one (1331) links, one thousand and thirty-nine (1039) links, one thousand two hundred and seven (1207) links, eight hundred and fifty (850) links, one thousand five hundred and seventy-three (1573) links, one thousand four hundred and fifty-three (1453) links, two thousand seven hundred and sixty (2760) links, two hundred and twenty-seven (227) links, three hundred and thirty-seven (337) links, four hundred and sixty-eight (468) links, two hundred and fifty (250) links, two hundred and sixty-two (262) links, three hundred and thirty-six (336) links, fifty-four (54) links, one thousand two hundred and sixty-one (1261) links, and three hundred and three (303) links.
Maori précis. He pukapuka tuku rawa atu tenei na Hone Pako, Tupakihi, me Hohepa Te Tai i tera whenua katoa tona ingoa Ko Kauae o Ruru Wahine No. 3 kia Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarangi ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini i muri i a ia ake tonu atu. Ko te utu mo taua whenua Kotahi rau e toru tekau ma wha pauna tekau ma whitu hereni me te hikipene. Ko te nui E rua mano kotahi rau e rima tekau ma waru eka koni ake iti iho ranei Ko nga rohe enei ki te Kotiu he whenua Maori. Ki te Marangai he whenua Maori ano. Ki te tonga ko Kauae o ruruwahine No. 2. Ki te hauauru ko "Warawara" ko "Whakarewarua," he whenua kua oti te ruri.
Interpreter's certificate. I, Charles E. Nelson, an Interpreter duly appointed under the "Native Land Act' 1863," certify that the above is a clear statement in the Maori language of the contents of the within-written deed, which contents I properly explained to Hone Pako, Tupakihi, and Hohepa Te Tai before the same was executed by them.

Charles E. Nelson.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commr.

Dated this 30th day of August, 1875.

754 c.

Registration Received for Registration at 10 a.m. 1st Sept., 1875.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Prècis, Certificates, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 4th, 1874.