Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Herbert William Brabant]

page 711

[Declaration of Herbert William Brabant]

I, Herbert William Brabant, of Opotiki, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand, do solemnly and sincerely declare—

• 1. That I hold a certificate authorizing me to act as Interpreter under "The Native Declaration of Herbert William Brabant. Lands Act, 1865," and "the Native Lands Act, 1867."
  • 2. That I was present together with William Thomas Mason, of Opotiki, Clerk to the Bench, and did see Manihera Maiki, a party to the within-written instrument, sign the same.
  • 3. That immediately before the signing of the written Memorandum of Lease by the said Manihera Maiki, I did faithfully interpret the said Memorandum of Lease into the Maori language unto him, and that my interpretation was correct and was understood by him.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-recited Acts and of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

Herbert W. Brabant,
Licensed Interpreter.

Made and declared at Opotiki, in the said Province, on this second day of December, 1874. Before—

William Kelly, J.P.
Signed by the within named Wiremu Kingi Tutahurangi, Te Rangi Kohera, Wi Mahiuka, Te Otene Waka, Atareta Ruru, Panapa Waihopi Arapera Pere Aporo Matahuata, Pera Tutoki and Tipene Tutaki on this nineteenth day of December 1874. In the presence of
F. G. Skipworth, Licensed Interpreter, Gisborne.
Paora Parau.