Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Christopher Maling]

[Declaration of Christopher Maling]

Declaration of Christopher Maling. I, Christopher Maling, of Taupo, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand, Licensed interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867," do solemnly and sincerely declare—
  • 1. The translation of the within Deed of Conveyance, dated the Twenty-fifth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, hereunto annexed and marked A, is a correct translation thereof.
  • 2. I am acquainted with Poihipi Tukairangi, Hamuera Takurua, Ihakara Kahuao, Popoki te Kurupae, and Hemopo te Rahui, of Tapuaeharuru, Taupo District, Province of Auckland, Aboriginal Natives of New Zealand.
  • 3. That I was present with the said Poihipi Tukairangi, Hamuera Takurua, Ihakara Kahuao, Popoki te Kurupae, and Hemopo te Rahiu on Wednesday the Twenty-fifth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, when I carefully read over to the said Poihipi Tukairangi, Hamuera Takurua, Ihakara Kahuao, Popoki te Kurupae, and Hemopo te Rahui the said within Deed of Conveyance and the said annexed translation thereof, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them previous to their respective execution thereof.
  • 4. The said within Deed of Conveyance and the said annexed written translation thereof were executed by the said Poihipi Tukairangi, Hamuera Takurua, Ihakara Kahuao, Popoki te Kurupae, and Hemopo te Rahui on the said twenty-fifth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, in the presence of myself and of Daniel Ross, Surveyor, of Tarawera, and Robert White, Telegraphist, of Tarawera aforesaid, male adult persons, who subscribed our names thereto respectively as the witnesses attesting the execution thereof respectively.
  • 5. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Jastices of the Peace Act, 1866," The Native Lands Act " and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

C. Maling,
Licensed Interpreter.

Declared at Tarawera, in the Province of Auckland, this Twenty-seventh day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one. Before me—

S. Locke,

J.P., of the Colony of New Zealand. And I also declare that Were Were te Rangi, Wiremu Ngamutu, Rutene te Rahui Hohepa Hinerau, Pita Ohaia, Hunia Takurua Wi Maihi Maniapoto, Matewai, Kirewera te Rahui, Wiremu te Rahui, WiTamihana te Kapua, Kohukohu, Reweti te Kume, Mere Hapi, Hira te Rangi, Taraipini Hinia Rokina Kiriwera, Horiana, Arapeta te Kurupae, Kataraina Momai Taina Parawharau, Te Ro Maniapoto Kaipekepeke Rore Katarina Nikorima Kerehau, Hera Uruika Hurihanga te Rahui Rangi Takaiiho were present at the execution of this deed. 27-1-70.

C. Maling,
Licensed Interpreter.