Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

(Enclosure 1 in No. 466.)

(Enclosure 1 in No. 466.)

Enclosure 1.Memorandum of agreement made this thirtieth day of October One thousand eight hundred and sixty eight between Te Moananui Native Chief of the District of Tauranga in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand of the one part and Messrs. Whitaker and Russell Solicitors of the City of Auckland of the other part Whereby the said Te Moananui agrees to sell to the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell all that piece or parcel of land situated on the Island of Matakana in the District of Tauranga in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand and known by the name of Te Awa Kokipu. [1,000 acres.] Te Awa Kokipu and containing one thousand acres more or less.

And the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell agree to purchase the said land and to pay to Te Moananui at the rate of Four shillings per acre in manner following, the sum of Fifty pounds to be paid on signing this agreement and a further sum of Fifty pounds on the completion of the survey of said land, the balance to be paid to the said Te Moananui or his agent on the execution of a conveyance.

And the said Te Mcananui further agrees to have the said land surveyed without loss of time at his cost.

Signed this thirtieth day of October one thousand eight hundred and sixty eight.

Te Moananui Mauao.
Whitaker and Russell.

In the presence of—

George Terrll.

I hereby certify that I have read over the above agreement to Te Moananui and that he fully understands its contents.

Richard de Thierry,
Licensed Interpreter.

October 30, 1868.

Receipt for £50. Received on account the sum of Fifty pounds.

Witness—

Te Moananui.

R. De Thierry, L.I.