Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

(Enclosure 20 in No. 466.)

(Enclosure 20 in No. 466.)

Enclosure 20.Memorandum of Agreement made this Seventeenth day of December, One Thousand Eight hundred and Sixty nine Between Raimona te Whetu Native Chief of the District of Tauranga in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand of the one part and Messrs. Whitaker and Russell of the City of Auckland Solicitors of the other part. Whereby the said Raimona te Whetu agrees to sell to Messrs. Whitaker and Russell all that piece or parcel of land situated on the Island of Matakana in the District of Tauranga in the Province of Aucklaud in the Colony of New Zealand Opikiau. [27 acres.] and known by the name of Opikiau and containing Twenty Seven acres more or less surveyed by P. C. Frasi And the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell agree to purchase the said land and to pay to the said Raimona te Whetu at the rate of Four shillings per acre in manner following, the sum of Five pounds to be paid on signing this agreement and the balance on the said Raimona handing over to the said Messrs. Whitaker and Russell the Certificate from the Native Lands Court for the said land.

The said Raimona te Whetu further agrees to sign a Conveyance for the said land to Messrs. Whitaker and Russell when required.

Raimona te Whetu x my mark.

Witness—

Chas. Br. Thierry, L.I.

£5.

Receipt for £5. I acknowledge to have received from Messrs. Whitaker and Russell the sum of Eive pounds sterling in part payment for my land called Opikiau at Matakana Tauranga.

Raimona te Whetu x my mark.

Witness—

C. Br. de Thierry.

I hereby certify that I have read the above agreement to Raimona te Whetu and he fully understands its contents.

Charles Br. de Thierry, L.I.