Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1850. 25 May.Whaingaroa District.The writing of this document on the twenty-fifth day of May One thousand eight hundred and fifty shews the consent of Te Wherowhero Chief of Ngatimahuta and the assent of the Queen of England on Her part my consent being on behalf of myself and the people at the place described in this document. I and also those persons of the Horea. Ngatimahuta hapu agree to sell this land to Queen Victoria in consideration of the sum of Fifty Price £50. Pounds paid to me and I now give up and cede to Victoria the Queen of England and to the Kings or Queens who may succeed Her for ever that land and all and everything Boundaries. thereunto appertaining bounded as follows: On the West by the sea on the south the mouth of Whaingaroa on the East the Marataka stream from the mouth to the commmencement [source?] thence to Waima at Te Tauterei thence across the stream to Te Whakapaetai the little stream thence the boundary follows the coast line Horea is the name of the place the plan of which appears on the back hereof.

Witness my name—

[Signature by mark.]

[Witnesses.]

Receipt for £50. I have received the sum of Fifty Pounds written in this deed. I therefore write my name on this twenty fifth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and fifty.

[Signature by mark.]

[Witnesses.]

Correct Translation.

T. E. Young,
Translator, Native Department.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 20th, 1874.