Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 412.]

Deeds—No. 412.

Paiaka Block, Otawhao, Waipa District.

1855. 16 July.Waipa District.Ko matou ko nga Rangatira e mau nei nga ingoa ki tenei pukapuka e wakaae tonu ana i tenei ra i te tahi tekau ma ono o nga ra o Hurai i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1855 kia Paiaka. hokona kia tino tukua rawatia tetahi wahi o to matou wenua ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
A no te mea ka tino tuku tino hoko tino tuku rawa i tenei wenua i tenei ra e witi nei e wakaae ana a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani mona kia utua matou ki nga pauna Receipt for £20. moni e rua tekau (£20) takitahi ko aua moni kua riro mai ki o matou ringaringa i tenei Boundaries. ra na te Makarini i homai ko nga rohe enei o taua pihi wenua ka timata ki te repo ko te Kiekie te ingoa ka haere tonu ki roto ki taua repo ki Oruapaha ka haere ki roto ki Oruapaha puta atu ki te rohe o te wenua o te kura o te Mokena haere tonu ki te taha o te wenua o te kura tae noa ki te taha o te huarahi kaata ki Punui haere tonu i reira ki Paiaka ki te taha o te taeapa maori haere atu i reira ki te puna wai puta atu ki te Kiekie.

Na Porokoru Titipa x tenei tohu.
Na Rewhi Ngaruru.
Na Hakopa Ngaruhi x tenei tohu.

Nga Kai titiro i enei homaitanga utu me enei ingoa—

John Morgan, Minister of the District of Otawhao.
Wm.Chitham, Carpenter.

Translation.

1855. 16 July.Waipa District.We Native Chiefs whose names are attached to this paper fully consent on this day the sixteenth day of July in the year of our Lord 1855 to sell and fully give up a portion of land to Victoria the Queen of England and to the Kings and Queens, her successors for Paiaka. ever.
And because we fully give up fully sell and fully make over this land on this day as Receipt for £20. the sun is now shining, Victoria the Queen of England, on her own behalf consents to pay us the sum of Twenty pounds (£20) which money we have this day received with our own hands from Mr. McLean.
Boundaries. These are the boundaries of this land:—Commencing at a swamp named Te Kiekie thence through the swamp to Oruapaha and along the boundary of the land belonging page 573to Mr. Morgan's Institution continuing along he boundary line of the Institution land till it reaches the cart road at Punui, thence to Paiaka running along the maori fence, thence to a spring of water beyond which it adjoins the Te Kiekie.

(Signed)Porokoru Titipa x his mark.
" Rewhi Ngaruru.
" Hakopa Ngaruhi x his mark.

Witnesses to signatures and payment—

(Signed) John Morgan, Minister of the District of Otawhao.
William Chitham, Carpenter.

True Translation.

Donald McLean,Chief Commissioner

March 19, 1856.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, July 16th, 1875.