Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

page 551

Translation.

This Deed entered into on the 5 of November in the year 1853 being the consenting 1853. 5 November. of Takupu and the Chiefs of the Nga Tipaoa the consenting also of the Queen of Piako District. England on her part, now I Takupu the owner of the Land described in this Deed do now agree to sell this Land to Queen Victoria for the sum of £50 now given to me for Piako. this I give up and make over to Victoria Queen of England and her Heirs and Successors for ever this land and all thereto belonging, the Boundaries are these, on the East by Boundaries. the Piako River on the South by the creek Ohiniewhero and on in a straight line until it gains the top of Parawhau range on the West By the Parawhau range on the North by Huirae then descending to Tokatoka and on until it comes out at Kanapu on the river of Piako, it is further agreed to by the Queen of England on her part that there shall be paid for the following purposes that is to say for the founding of Schools in 10 per cent, on sales of this land by Government to be spent on various Native purposes. which persons of our race may be taught for the construction of Hospitals in which persons of our race may be tended for the payment of Medical attendance for us for the construction of Mills for us for Annuities for our Chiefs or for other purposes of a like nature in which the Natives of this country have a like interest ten per cent or ten Pounds out of every 100 Pounds out of any monies from time to time received for this Land when it is resold.

Witness my name—

(Signed) Takupu.

Witness—

(Sd.) John White, Interpreter.

(Sd.) Andrew Sinclair, Clerk, Survey Office.

Received by me Takupu the 50 Pounds as agreed to in this Deed hence myReceipt for £50. signing this my name on this the 5 of November in the year 1853.

(Signed) Takupu.

Witness—

(Sd.) John White, Interpreter.

(Sd.) Andrew Sinclair, Clerk, Survey Office.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 22nd, 1874.