Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland, Colony of Declaration of W. H. Grace. New Zealand, a duly licensed Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare:—
1.That I was present together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, Land Agent, a male adult, and did see Te Koukou Tutere and Henare Whanui, men by adhibiting his respective mark or cross thereto, they being illiterate persons and unable to write.
2.That the mark or cross "x" set opposite to the name of the said Te Koukou Tutere was made by him the said Te Koukou Tutere, and the mark or cross "x" set opposite to the name of the said Henare Whanui was made by the said Henare Whanui, and that both marks or crosses were made by the said Te Koukou Tutere and Henare Whanui in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halloran.
3.That the signatures "W. H. Grace" and "Gerald O'Halloran" subscribed to the said Deed are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Halloran and of me this declarant.
4.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Te Koukou Tutere and Henare Whanui I did interpret the same to them into the Maori Language, and that my translation was correct and was understood by them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to the true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H. Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province of Auckland, Colony of New Zealand, the twenty-seventh day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me,
E. W. Puckey,
A justice of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

3987d. Received for Registration at 2 P.M., 21 July, 1874.Registration. (l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 22nd, 1874.