Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

I, James Wathen Preece, of Auckland, in the. Province of Auckland, Colony of New Declaration of James W. Preece. Zealand, a duly licensed Native interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the said province and colony, and did see Anaru Pahapaha, Te Koki Tiratini, Hone Mahia, Karaitiana Kihau, Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga, Rawiri Taiporutu, Wiremu Hapimana, Hohepa Mataitaua, Hawira Te Wahapu, Patene Raukura, Reihana Poto, Kapihana Te Tuhi, Raiha Whakarongotai, Hone Mahia, Hone Ropiha, Te Ura Whare, Utuku Kopa, Tamati Waka Te Puhi, Erueti Te Roro, Renata Kitahi, Tu Karamaene, Hera Kaimanu, Hera Puna, Tupotiki, Haora Tareranui, Parata Te Mapu, Hoani Nahe, Rapata Te Arakai, Wararahi Turipona, and Rapana te Uia, aboriginal natives mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
2.That the signatures Anaru Pahapaha, Te Koki Tiratini, Hone Mahia, Karaitiana Kihau, Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga, Rawiri Taiporutu, Wiremu Hapimana, Hohepa Mataitaua, Hawira to Wahapu, Patene Raukura, Reihana Poto, Kapihana Te Tuhi, Raika Whakarongotai, Hone Mahia, Hone Ropiha, Te Ura Whare, Utuku Kopa, Tamati Waka Te Puhi, Erueti Te Roro, Renata Kitahi, Tu Karamaene, Hera Kaimanu, Hera Puna, Tupotiki, Haora Tareranui, Parata Te Mapu, Hoani Nahe, Eapata Te Arakai, page 542Wararahi Turipona, and Rapana te Uia are of the proper handwriting of the said persons (parties to the said Deed) hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated.
3.That I was present together with the said John William Richard Guilding, who is a duly licensed Native Interpreter and a male adult, and did see Ruihana Kawhero, Timoti Piritaha, Tuteri Karewa, Wikiriwhi Te Pokiha, Hemi Titiparu, Eru Pakiuma, Katarina Hiki, Rawinia Te Teretere, Maraea Taupoki, Wiremu Patene, Kereopa Te Kirihuakuru, Hona Taiawa, Eru Teretiu, Raiha Ropiha, Peata, Ihipera Rangihoro, and Ruta Pahau, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by each party or person adhibiting his or her mark or cross thereto, they being illiterate persons and unable to write.
4.That I was present with Robert Callaway, of Coromandel, in the said province and colony, Miner, and did see Ihipera Tiki, mentioned and described in the said Deed, duly sing and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Robert Callaway, who is a male adult.
5.That I was present with the said Robert Callaway, and did see Hawea Hokaia, Neri Mahia, Wiremu Natana, Mere Kaimanu, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by each of them adhibiting his or her respective mark or cross x thereto, they being illiterate persons and unable to write.
7.No number 6 in the Deed.—H. H. T. That the marks or crosses set opposite the names of the said persons immediately hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated, being parties to the said Deed, were made by them in my presence and in the presence of the said Robert Callaway.
8.That I was present with Alfred Preece, of Coromandel aforesaid, Settler, and did see Reupene Whetuki, Peneamene Kawhena and Wiremu Te Aramoana, mentioned and described in the within Deed, duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Alfred Preece, who is a male adult.
9.That the names or signatures Reupene Whetuki, Peneamene Kawhena, and Wiremu Te Aramoana subscribed thereto are of their respective proper handwriting.
10.That I was present with the said Alfred Preece and did see Marara Tapui and Te Aorere, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same each by adhibiting their respective marks thereto "x x," they being illiterate persons and unable to write.
11.That the marks or crosses set opposite to the names of the said Marara Tapui and Te Aorere were made in my presence and in the presence of the said Alfred Preece.
12.That I was present with phillip Bennett, of Ohinemuri, in the said province and colony, Storekeeper, a male adult, and did see Hata Paka, Te Kemara Teraruahine, and Takerei Te Putu, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Phillip Bennett.
13.That the names or signatures Hata Paka, Te Kemara Teraruahine, and Takerei Te Putu, subscribed to the said Deed, are of their respective proper handwriting.
14.That I was present with William Grey Nicholls, of Shortland aforesaid, settler, a male adult, and did see Pokiha Netana, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting his mark or cross thereto, he being an illiterate persons and unable to write.
15.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the name of the said Pokiha Netana in the said Deed was made by him in my presence and in the presence of the said william Grey Nicholls.
16.That I was present with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, Land Agent, and did see Hohepa Mahia, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halloran.
17.That the name or signature Hohepa Mahia to the said Deed subscribed is of the proper handwriting of the said Hohepa Mahia.
18.That I was present together with Isaac Wilson, of Coromandel aforesaid, Joiner, and did see Hoani Mataia, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting his mark or cross thereto, he being at the time unwell and unable to write.
19.That the mark or cross "x" set opposite to the name of the said Hoani Mataia on the said Deed was made by him in my presence and in the presence of the said Isaac Wilson.
20.That the signatures "J. W. Preece," "J. W. R. Guilding," "W. G. Nicholls," "Robert Callaway," "Alfred Preece," "Gerald O'Halloran," "Phillip Bennett," and "Isaac Wilson," subscribed to the said deed as those of the attesting witnesses of the due execution thereof by the said parties thereto, are of the respective proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding, William Grey Nicholls, Robert Callaway, Alfred Preece, Gerald O'Halloran, Phillip Bennett, and Issac Wilson, and of me this declarant.
21.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the persons hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated parties to the said Deed I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation was correct and was understood by them and each of them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

page 543

Made and declared at Shortland in the
Province of Auckland, Colony of New
Zealand, the twenty-fifth day of February,
in the year one thousand eight hundred
and seventy-three. Before me—
E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the
Colony of New Zealand.