Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 361.]

Deeds—No. 361.

Moanataiari No. 6 Block, Hauraki District.

1871. 28 September.Hauraki District.This Deed made the Twenty Eighth day of September in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy-one Between Matiu Poono of the District of MoanataiariNo. VI. Hauraki in Queen's County in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand Aboriginal Native hereinafter termed the said Native of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Whereas a certificate of Title was issued from the Native Lands Court on the Sixth day of July One thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy-one whereby it is certified that the said Native is the owner according to Native Custom of the exclusive right of Fishing upon and using for the purpose of Fishing whether with stake nets or otherwise the surface of the soil of all that portion of the Foreshore or parcel of Land between high-water mark and low-water mark called or known by the name of Moanataiari Number Six hereinafter more particularly described And Whereas the said Native hath agreed to Sell to Her said Receipt for £21. Majesty all his Estate and Interest in the said Foreshore or parcel of Land for the price of Twenty one pounds Now this Deed Witnesseth that in consideration of the Sum of Twenty one pounds paid by Her said Majesty to the said Native (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) the said Native Doth hereby convey and Assure Grant and Surrender unto Her said Majesty Her Heirs and Successors All that the said right of Fishing upon and using for the purposes of Fishing whether with stake nets or otherwise the surface of the soil of All that the said portion of the Foreshore or parcel of Land between high-water mark and low-water mark at Grahamstown in the District of Hauraki in the Province of Auckland aforesaid called or known by the name of Moanataiari Number Six containing by admeasurement Three acres Two roods and Six perches be the same more or less Bounded Boundaries. [3a. 2r. 6p.] towards the North East by High water line towards the South East by the Moanataiari Number Seven Block Three thousand and fifty eight links towards the South West by low water line One hundred and fifteen links and towards the North West by the Moanataiari Number Five Block Three thousand and ninety links as the same is delineated on the Plan drawn horeon With all the rights members and appurtenances thereunto belonging And all the estate right title interest and demand whatsoever of the said Native in and to the said Foreshore or parcel of Land and Premises and every part thereof To Have and To Hold unto Her said Majesty Her Heirs and Successors for ever. In Witness whereof the said Parties have hereunto subscribed their names the day and year first hereinbefore written.

Matiu poono.

Signed by the said Matiu Poono—
W. H. Taipari, The Thames.
Edwd. Hy. Power, Native Interpreter, The Thames.

[Declaration of Edward Henry Power]

Declaration of Edward Henry Power. I Edward Henry Power of The Thames in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand Licensed Native Interpreter do most solemnly and sincerely declare as follows that is to say—
1.I did faithfully interpret into the Maori language the within Deed to Matiu Poono the part named therein immediately before the, execution of the said Deed by
2.My Translation of the Said Deed was correct and was understood by the said, Matiu Poono.
3.The said Deed was executed by the said Matiu Poono in the presence of Wirope Hoterene Taipari of The Thames in the said Province of Auckland Native Chief and me this Declarant.
4.The name Edward Henry Power set and subscribed as that of one of the Witnesses attesting the due execution of the said Deed is of my proper handwriting and I hold a Certificate authorizing me to act as an Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act 1865" and "The Native Lands Act 1867" which said Certificate is in full force and effect.
5.The name Wirope Hoterene Taipari set and subscribed as that of one of the witnesses attesting the due, execution of the said Deed is of the proper handwriting of the said, Wirope Hoterene Hoterene Taipari Taipari is a male adult. And I make this solenm Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and page 475by virtue of the provisions of the said several Acts and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand aforesaid intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act 1866."

Edwd. Hy. Power.

Made and declared at The Thames in the Pro
vince of Auckland in the Colony of New
Zealand this Seventh day of December
One Thousand Eight Hundred and Seventy
one Before me—

H. Chas. Lawlor,A Justice of the Peace.

3952d.
Registration. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 21 July, 1874. (l.s.

M. Hamilton,Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declaration, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 8th March, 1875.