Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the District of Hauraki, in the Province Declaration of Wm. Henry Grace. of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," or some or one of them, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland aforesaid, Land Agent, a male adult, and did see Matiaha Kahama, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, sign, seal, execute, and deliver the said Deed, and also sign the plan annexed thereto and hereto marked "A," being the plan of the Waiwhakaurunga Block mentioned and referred to in the said within-written Deed.
2. That the mark x thereto set and affixed to the said within-written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto is of the proper handwriting of the said Matiaha Kahuma, that the seal set opposite the said mark in the said within-written Deed was affixed thereto by the said Matiaha Kahuma.
3. That the signatures W. H. Grace and J. W. R. Guilding set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof are of the proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding, and me this declarant respectively.
4. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed and plan by the said Matiaha Kahuma, as aforesaid, I did interpret the same to him into the Maori language, and explained to him in the Maori language that the plan annexed thereto and hereto was the plan mentioned and referred to in the said Deed, and that my translation and explanation thereof was correct and understood by the said Matiaha Kahuma.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same, and by virtue of the above-mentioned Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H. Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland, in the Province aforesaid, this seventh day of September, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two. Before me—

Albert J. Allom,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.