Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of J. W. Preece.I, James Wathen Preece, of the City of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," or some or one of them, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present together with James Mackay junior of Auckland aforesaid, Native Land Purchase Agent, a make adult, and Henry Thornton Rowe, of Shortland, in page 529the said Province and Colony, Surveyor, also a male adult, and did see Henare Whakarongahau, Repiu Tokato, Wata Tiaia, Raimate Hemoata, and Hapimana Rupapa, all mentioned and described in the within written deed, sign, seal, execute and deliver the said deed, and also sign the said plan annexed thereto and hereto and marked "A" being the plan of the Waiwhakaurunga Block mentioned and referred to in the said. within-written Deed.
2. That the signatures Henare Whakarongahau, Repiu to Kata, Wata Tiaia, Raimate Hemoata and Hapimana Rupapa, set and subscribed to the said within-written deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto, are of the proper handwriting of the said Henare Whakaronghau, Repiu to Kata, Wata Tiaia, Raimate Hemoata, and Hapimana Rupapa respectively, and that the seals set opposite to the said signatures in the said within-written Deed were affixed thereto by them, respectively.
3. That the signatures James Mackay, Jr., Henry T. Rowe, and T. W. Preece, set and subscribed to the said within-written deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof respectively, are of the respective proper handwriting of the said James Mackay, junior, Henry Thornton Rowe, and me this declarant respectively.
4. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed and plan by the said parties as aforesaid I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and explained to them in the Maori language that the plan annexed thereto and hereto was the plan mentioned and referred to in the said Deed, and my translation and explanation thereof was correct and understood by the said parties to signing, sealing, executing, and delivering as aforesaid.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-mentioned Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the General Assembly of the New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid, this seventh day of September, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two. Before me—

Albert J. Allom, J. P.,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.