Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding

Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. I John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand, a duly authorised Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare: 1. That I was present together with Gerald O'Halloran, Shortland, in the said Province and Colony, a Land Agent, and did see Rawiri Taiporutu Anaru Pahapaha Karaitiana Kihau and Haora Tupaea, aboriginal Natives mentioned and described in the said Deed within written, duly sign and execute.the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halloran, a male adult. 2. That the signatures Rawiri Taiporutu, Anaru Pahapaha Karaitiana Kihau and Haora Tupaea, to the said Deed subscribed, are the proper handwriting of the persons immediately hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated. 3. That I was present together with the said Gerald O'Halloran, and did see Ruihana Kawhero, Riria Karepe, and Hemi Titiparu, also mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting their respective marks or cross thereto. 4. That the marks or crosses set opposite to the names of the said Ruihana Kawhero, Riria Karepe, and Hemi Titiparu in the said Deed were made by them in my presence and in the presence of the said O'Halloran. 4. That I was present together with Samuel Brenan, of Grahamstown, a constable in the Armed Constabulary, a male adult, and did see Timoti Peritaha, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting his mark or cross thereto. 5. That the mark or cross x, set opposite to the name of the. said Timoti Piritaha in the said Deed mentioned, was made by the said Timoti Piritaha in my presence and in the presence of the said Samuel Brenan. 6. That the signatures J. W. R. Guilding, Gerald O'Halloran, and Samuel Brenan, subscribed to the said Deed, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Halloran, Samuel Brenan, and of me, this declarant. 7. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said parties to the said Deed hereinbefore mentioned, I did faithfully interpret the same to them and each of them into the Maori language, and that my translation was correct, and was understood by all of them; and I make this declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. R.Guilding.

Made and declared at Shortland, in the said Province and Colony, the twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.