Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

page 500

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

I, James Wathen Preece, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1867, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.Declaration of J. W. Preece That I was present together with Phillip Bennett, of Ohinemuri, in the Province and Colony aforesaid, Storekeeper, a male adult, and did see Hunia te Weu, Rangi te Aoria, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
2.That the signatures Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete are of the proper handwriting of the said Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete.
3.That I was present with the said Phillip Bennett and did see Rangi te Aoria duly execute the said Deed by setting her mark thereto, she being an illiterate person.
4.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the name of the said Rangi te Aoria was made by the said Rangi te Aoria.
5.That the signatures "J. W. Preece," "Phillip Bennett," set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed, as witnesses, attesting the due execution thereof, are of.the proper handwriting of the said Phillip Bennett and of me this declarant respectively.
6.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hunia te Weu, Rangi te Aoria, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete, I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was understood by the said Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, Rangi te Aoria, and Hori te Ngatete respectively. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland, in theProvince aforesaid, this twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.