Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of Jas. Wathen Preece. I James Wathen Preece of Auckland in the province of Auckland colony of New Zealand a duly licensed Native Interpreter do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding of Shortland in the said province and colony a duly licensed Native Interpreter a male adult and did see Te Karauna Hou, Erueti Ngakoki, Tamati Kaiuta and Peneamene Tanui mentioned and described in the within written deed duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
2.That the signatures Te Karauna Hou, Erueti Ngakoki, Na Tamati Kaiuta and Peneamena Tanui to the said deed subscribed are of the respective proper handwriting of the said Te Karauna Hou, Erueti Ngakoki, Tamati Kaiuta and Peneamene Tanui.
3.That I was present with the said John William Richard Guilding and did see Taupo Waitai, Miriama Pehe Pukukauri, Nikora Tuamata, Te Wharepuhi, and Hori Kerei Tuokioki, in the within written deed mentioned and described duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting each his or her mark or cross thereto.
4.That the mark or cross x set opposite to each of the names Taupo Waitai, Miriama Pehi Pukukauri, Nikora Tuamata, Te Wharepuhi and Hori Kerei Tuokioki in the said deed mentioned were made by them in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
5.That the signatures J. W. R. Guilding and J. W. Preece as those of the attesting witnesses to the due execution of the said deed by the said parties are of the proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding and of me this declarant.
6.That immediately before the execution of the said deed by the said parties thereto hereinbefore mentioned I did faithfully interpret the same to them and each of them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by all of them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of The Native Lands Act 1865, The Native Lands Act 1867, The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1868, The Native Lands Act.1869, The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870, and The Justices of the Peace Act 1866.

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland in the province of Auckland Colony of New Zealand the twenty fifth day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventy three Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.