Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1850. 3 May.Mangonui District.This Deed entered into on the third day of May in the year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and fifty—is the consent of me of Noble Panakareau—Chief of Wikitoria —to make over to the Queen of England—Waikiekie in Mangonui containing thirty-two Waikiekie. acres more or less—the following being the consideration for which the said land was sold to the Queen of Boundaries. [32 acres.] England viz.—Five pounds there and then paid by Mr. White the Resident Magistrate of Mangonui—and this piece of land and all and everything thereunto belonging is accordingly made over to Her Majesty Victoria to the Queen of England to the Kings or Queens after her—for ever and ever. These are the boundaries —bounded on the North by the river of Mangonui one thousand six hundred and fifty links (1650) joining the Land of Bergham and Murphy four hundred and ten links and one thousand one hundred and sixty links—adjoining the land of Thomas and Phillips— to the East. To the South East—three hundred and sixty links—bounded by Land of of the Queen—seven hundred and forty links—bounded by the Land of Bergham and Murphy two thousand eight hundred and fifty links—bounded on the West side by Land of Mr. Butler—two thousand three hundred links—adjoining the Land of Flavell One thousand two hundred and fifty links—Eleven hundred and fifty links—Sixteen hundred links—along the bank of the river of Mangonui five hundred and fifty links— by the piece reserved for Noble—twenty eight yards long and broad. And further in Other interests surrendered. consideration of the sum of Five pounds which I have received for this land which has been already described—I hereby give up my interest in all the Land to the North of the boundary of Te Rere to Bergham's post—by the road to Taipa—to Te Rua Karamea—so on to the sea side to high water mark.

(Signed) Nopera Panakareau.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) Ch. Maxwell.
" Wm. Butler.
" Karipa

Receipt for £5. I Noble Panakareau acknowledge to have received from Mr. White the five pounds page 3named in this deed—and I sign my name this day—the third of May—in the Year of Our Lord—one thousand eight hundred and fifty.

(Signed) Nopera Pankareau.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) Ch. Maxwell.
" Wm. Butler.
" Karipa.

Translation.

John Grant Johson,
Interpreter.

A True copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 25th, 1875.