Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A letter from Philip Newaka to Rev. Richard Taylor at Sept. 18, 1846

Waokena, Sept. 18, 1846.

“Friend Mr. Taylor,

“Listen to me; on the 12th of August Manihera page 47 appointed me to preach the sermon; my text was taken from 1 Cor. 10 ch. 7 v. I used this simile: a man adzed a totara tree; he split it into two parts, from one he made a large canoe and from the other a small one; he took them to the sea; the fish were killed by those of the great canoe, so likewise by those of the little canoe. All the people partook of the fish of those canoes; this is a simile for myself. We are one flesh; our minister divides us; one he makes a head teacher, the other a lower one. The fish of the first and second canoes are the words of God, which are to be eaten by the whole assembly. This is all my simile. Then I spoke to them of the meaning of the text. Friends, the word applies to the children of Israel when they went out of Egypt to their inheritance in Canaan; their going out of Egypt was all right until they reached the wilderness, then they began to shew their hardened hearts towards God. He caused them to fall in the wilderness; they did not remember the guide to their promised abode; they turned aside; they accused God; they worshipped the host of heaven. My friends, this is a warning for us; we are journeying through this great wilderness, that is the world; we are travelling to our promised abode, that is the heavenly Canaan; let us journey aright that we may safely reach our destination, because God is our guide, lest it be with us as it was with them. Like a man who drives a pig, if the pig is obstinate in going he only gets worried by the dog and dies; so if we persist in going wrong God will cut us off. Many more were my similies drawn from that verse. I brought forth the word of Jude, ‘the Lord having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterwards destroyed them that believed not.’

“From Piripi Newaka.”