The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 79
Before finally leaving the Bay of Islands, Mr Colenso made three journeys, on the third making his first visit to Hawke's Bay in the summer of 1843, along with Mr W. Williams, the first Bishop of Waiapu. They left Poverty Bay by schooner for Port Nicholson, intending to return by land, but after a whole fortnight at sea were glad to land at Castle Point, from which place they travelled slowly to Ahuriri. On December 8th, 1843, they reached Awapuni—near Farndon— page 10 where he found Archdeacon Williams. Ten iteres had been given to the missionaries at this place by the Maoris, and a small chapel, which he describes as a fine building, had been begun, but was not yet finished. On the return he and Mr Williams journeyed together to Wairoa when they separated, Mr Colenso returning to the Hay of Islands by a long and circuitous route via Waikaremoana, Ruatahuna, Whakatane, Tauranga, Manukau and Whangarei.