Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 69

"P. and O. Co.'s 'Hydaspis,' Gibraltar, "September 15th, 1878

"P. and O. Co.'s 'Hydaspis,' Gibraltar,

"Dear Old Comrade,—I have sent you a few more photos to give to such of my old comrades in New Zealand who desire to have a remembrance of their old commanding officer. That there may be some who do not continue to be a credit to the regiment is, I fear, probable in a new country where labour is scarce and therefore highly paid, and spirits are cheap. I would rather not contemplate the probability of an old 'Die Hard' disgracing his name, but ask such as are like yourself interested in the dear old regiment and its colonel during its service in New Zealand, to rejoice in the fact that I have been selected by the Queen, and am now on my way to India, to succeed General Sir Charles Stavely, K.C.B., as Commander-in-chief of the Bombay Army—an army of more than 35,000 men, and one of the highest and most responsible positions in the power of a general officer to hold. Had I the old 57th to back me I should be quite satisfied, and should not feel the least uneasy at the evident desire of Russia to counterbalance our power in Afghanistan and on our north-western frontier. I have asked Colonel Clark to join me in Bombay as Military Secretary; but as he has only recently become Lieutenant-colonel of the regiment by the death of Colonel Stewart, I fear his love for the regiment and his desire to command it will deprive me of his assistance in the control of the Bombay Army. Mrs. Warre accompanies me to India, and like myself, is always glad to hear from you and of the well-being of any of the dear old corps. Wishing success to you all in the splendid country of your adoption,

"I am, as always,

"Your true friend,

(Signed)

"H.J. Warre.