Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 69

(From a letter dated April, 1878.)

page 94
(From a letter dated

"I was very pleased to hear from you again. It is always a great satisfaction to learn that any of the old 57th, to whom I was much attached, are doing well and comfortably settled in the country of their choice. The deaths of our old friends, Collins and Cummings, are very sad. The latter, especially, was so young and active that he ought to have outlived many older men. The 'Die Hards' are now in Ceylon, and keeping up their old reputation. Colonel Logan has retired. Owing to the illness of Colonel Stewart, which obliges him to be in England, Major Clarke is in command, and Captain Piggott has recently been promoted Major; but there have been so many changes in the junior ranks that very few of the officers who were in New Zealand are now with the regiment. England has been on the verge of war with Russia; but nobody wanted to see another Crimean War, and her victories over the poor gallant Turks ought to page 97 make Russia moderate in her demands. I send you my photo, and trust it will arrive safely. Thanking you for your excellent letter and wishing you every happiness, I am sincerely yours.

(Signed)

"H. J. Warre."