The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 50
The Bridge Endowment
The Bridge Endowment.
In March, 1871, the University received from Honorable Hudson E. Bridge a gift of $100,000 for the endowment of the Chancellorship and for a Library Fund; $15,000 toward the erection of a building for the Polytechnic School, and $15,000 for providing it with furniture and apparatus. In recognition of this liberality, the Board of Directors voted that the office of Chancellor should receive the title of "The Bridge Chancellorship."