The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 50
Several gentlemen, availing themselves of the liberal provisions of the University Charter, have established under it a Female Seminary. A commodious building was erected in 1858, at an expense of $25,000, upon a spacious lot given for the purpose in Lucas place. Subsequently an addition was made which more than doubled the original capacity and accommodations.
The need of more room and greater conveniences was, however, felt for several years.
To meet this want a large, convenient, and well-furnished building, erected in 1878, at a cost of $70,000, at the corner of Beaumont and Locust streets, is now in use.
This Institute is provided with the most thorough and varied instruction, so that no citizen of St. Louis need send his daughter a thousand miles away from home, for four or five of the most critical years of her life, to he trained by strangers.
The connection of the Seminary with the University will be such as to secure to the young ladies all the means of high intellectual culture accessible to young men. The buildings and grounds of the two Institutions are distinct; but in respect to the classification, the course of study, and the general management of the Institute, the Chancellor will assist the Principal; and recitations in the Languages, the higher Mathematics, and the Natural Sciences will be conducted to such an extent as shall seem desirable by the Professors in the Undergraduate Department of the University.