The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 50
The "Academy" was founded in 1853, and in the following year school was opened, under care of Messrs J. D. Low and N. D. Tirrell, with thirty-four scholars. The most advanced class was four years 'below the College entrance grade.
In 1862, when College buildings had been erected, under the Chancellorship of Joseph G. Hoyt, LL. D., Prof. George B. Stone took charge of the Academy and continued in its very successful administration until 1874, when the state of his health compelled him to resign.
Prof. Denham Arnold succeeded him as Principal, and now holds that position. The standard of scholarship has been not only maintained, but steadily advanced, and, by modifications recently made, students are well fitted to enter any College in the United States.
The new Academy Building now occupied, was erected in 1878-79, and is known as Smith Academy, in recognition of the munificence of James and Persis Smith, from whom the whole amount ($75,000,) expended in the building, including the ground and furniture, was received.