The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 50
The Ordinance establishing the Manual Training School, was adopted by the Hoard of Directors of the University, June 6. 1879.
The lot was purchased and the building fronting on Eighteenth Street begun in August of the same year. In the November following, a Prospectus of the school was published. In June, 1880, the building being partially equipped, it was opened for public inspection, and a class of boys were examined for admission. On September 6, 1880, the school opened with a single class of about fifty pupils. The whole number enrolled during the year was sixty-seven. A public exhibition of drawing and shop work was given June 16, 1881.
The second year of the school opened September 12, 1881, and closed June 14, 1882. There were two classes, sixty-one pupils belonging to the first year, and forty-six to the second year, making one hundred and seven in all. Of the second-year class, forty-two had attended the school the previous year.
During the summer of 1882 the large addition fronting on Washington Avenue was built and furnished.
The third year of the school opened September 11th, 1882, and closed June 14th, 1883, with the graduation of its first class. Twenty-nine young men received diplomas and medals. The enrollment for the year was 175. The exhibition of drawings, recitations and shop work lasted two days.
Three Articles of the Ordinance establishing the school are appended.