Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 48

Christchurch, 24th December, 1879. Messrs. Harper, Harper and Scott. Re The New Zealand Shipping Company's Letters

Christchurch,

Messrs. Harper, Harper and Scott.

Re The New Zealand Shipping Company's Letters.

In reply to your letter of even date, I beg to say that I have not received or retained any letters which have come by the recent mails from England relating to the business of the N.Z.S. Co., either marked private, official, confidential, or otherwise.

After the attempt of the Chairman to intercept my letters at the Post Office, the Postmaster was good enough to call on me, and gave me two letters, one from * * * and one addressed to me personally by Mr. Strickland, the Company's London Manager. The latter I begged might be delivered to Mr. Gibbs, the Company's Accountant, on condition of his opening it in my presence, and if it was, as I apprehended, a private letter, giving it to me—if on Company's business alone, retaining it. Of this letter I have heard nothing further, and if it has not reached the Company it can at any time do so, on the condition I attached.

One or two colonial letters which have reached me by inadvertence, I have of course immediately sent to the Company, as I beg to do with the enclosed, through you. It reached me at 11 o clock to-day, &c.

H. Selwyn Smith.