Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 48

Christchurch, 14th January, 1879. J. L. Coster, Esq., Chairman of The New Zealand Shipping Co. Limited

page 12
Christchurch,

J. L. Coster, Esq.,

Chairman of The New Zealand Shipping Co. Limited.

Dear Sir,—The minute of the Board you yesterday showed me, and your statement that you had not road the letters which, in pursuance of the Sub-committee's suggestion I handed you last month, impress my mind to the effect that the Directors have not seen the correspondence which is the foundation of my connection with the Company, and that they are not aware of the inducements held out to me to throw up my business in Melbourne, and take the position I now hold.

And I therefore deferentially submit that your correspondence with Mr. Stewart, as well as mine, in reference to my appointment, should be considered by the Board, prior to entering on its proceedings a minute which, in my humble judgment, is not consistent with existing obligations arising out of the correspondence referred to.

I of course only desire that, as the Directors have now taken the matter up, the terms of my engagement may, after frank and fair discussion, be definitely and agreeably settled.

I am, &c.,

H. Selwyn Smith.