Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 39

Nineteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution [1881]

page break

Nineteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Benevolent Institution

Printed At The "Daily Times" Office Dunedin High Street.

MDCCCLXXXII
page break

page break

Nineteenth Annual Report of the Committee of Management of the Otago Benevolent institution.

The Committee in submitting their 19th Annual Report and Balance-Sheet cannot congratulate the subscribers on any decrease on the demands of the funds of the Institution for the past year.

It is with regret they have to report that a large amount of distress existed amongst a number of people from pure misfortune—through illness, want of employment, and other causes. Deserted wives, as usual, occupying a prominent position amongst the recipients of the funds.

It will be gratifying to the subscribers to know that through the liberality of the public the Committee were in a position to relieve all deserving cases brought before them, not only in Dunedin, but extending to various parts of the Provincial District, and this in the face of malicious and unfounded charges made against the management and committee of the Institution.

The Committee are thankful to say the subscriptions have not been diminished from this cause.

As the subscribers are aware, a Committee of Enquiry was appointed, consisting of Messrs. John Bathgate, and John Logan, who declared the charges to be unfounded. Pending the result of the enquiry, subscriptions were not collected by the Secretary.

page 4

In proof of confidence in your Committee, one generous citizen contributed the sum of £6300 as a nucleus towards forming an Orphan Asylum for the admission of children of all nations and persuasions, and to whom the Committee express their gratitude. At present there are several orphans in the Institution, which is now open to receive deserving cases.

The total amount received was £4,764 16s 7d, of which £1,844 19s was in subscriptions and donations; a corresponding subsidy being received from the Government.

The total amount expended was £5,788 8s 2d, of which £3,413 3s 9d was expended in Outdoor Relief for food, clothing, rents, fuel, &c., £2,375 4s 5d being expended on the support of the inmates in the Asylum at Caversham, including £130 for erection of a play shed for children. For fuller particulars see Revenue Account.

The total number relieved was 1685, viz.: 171 men, 405 women, and 1,109 children, made up as follows:—Families in which the men were incapacitated through age, chronic disease, accident, or temporary illness, 61 men, 61 women, 214 children; widows, 131, with 381 children; deserted wives, 62, with 224 children; single men, 38; single women, 16; single women, 18, with 23 illegitimate children; 7 women with 21 children, whose husbands are or were in gaol; 4 women with 12 children, whose husbands are or were in hospital; 4 women with 11 children, whose husbands are or were in Lunatic Asylum. Families which were destitute through want of employment on the part of the men, 45 men, 45 women, 176 children; the remainder being cases of a casual nature.

The number received into the Institution was 51; 18 men, 18 women, and 15 children. The number discharged was, 56, 18 men, 17 women, and 24 children, leaving the number remaining in the Institution 1st January, 1882, 47 men, 13 women, and 30 children—total 90. The number of deaths was 6—see Dr. Hocken's report—both male and female adults are nearly all permanent invalids or otherwise disabled. The weekly average of inmates was 93, at a cost of 8s 4 ¾ d each per week; this includes food, furnishing, fuel, page 5 clothing, medicine, salaries of Doctor, Religious Instructor, Master, Matron, Servants, education of children, &c.

It is with regret that your Committee have to record the death of one of their colleagues, Mr. R. A. Low; in him the Institution has sustained a loss and the poor a kind and generous friend.

In view of an increase in the number of children, a new play-shed and water-closets have been added to the buildings.

The men's quarters are much overcrowded, and provision will have to be made at once for further accommodation, many deserving cases having to be refused admission. This matter the Committee commend to the consideration of their successors.

The subject of illegitimacy having been so prominently referred to in last year's report, your Committee, finding it an evil on the increase, would again commend the matter to a committee of ladies so that this Institution may be relieved of a burden not fairly within its functions.

In conclusion, the Committee tender their hearty thanks to the subscribers generally, to the clergy, and the various Protestant congregations, to the proprietors of the following publications:—"Otago Witness," "Saturday Advertiser," "Evening Star," "Morning Herald," "New Zealand Church-man," "Illustrated New Zealand Herald," "Temperance Herald," and "New Zealand Presbyterian," which are supplied gratuitously.

Attached to this report are the Balance-sheet, the Medical Officer's Report, and the usual tables, as also the report of the Commissioners, Messrs. Bathgate and Logan.

Finally, the Committee would record its appreciation of religious services rendered by Mr. Macfie—the attention of Miss Wilson to the education of the children under her charge, the care of Dr. Hocken towards those requiring medical treatment, and its continued confidence in the management generally of the Institution.

The following resolution was passed in reference to the resignation of the late President, Mr. A. Chetham Strode.

Resolved—"That the Committee of the Otago Benevolent Institution at their first meeting after taking office, page 6 cannot allow the resignation of the late President, Mr. A. Chethem Strode, to pass without placing on record their appreciation of his lone; continued and valued services."

The Committee now resign their trust, but are eligible for re-election.

(Signed)

R. B. Martin

, President.
page 7

Medical Report.

Dunedin, Moray Place, To the Chairman of the Benevolent Institution Committee.

Sir,—I have the honour to report that during the past year the health of the inmates has been, on the whole, good. There have been six deaths:—David Moncrieff, 75, of old age; John Curran, 63, of heart and lung disease; Andrew Williamson, 71, cancer of the stomach; Ellen Wood, 60, of general decay; John Simmons, 40, of old-standing general paralysis; and Elizabeth Morris, 12, of brain disease.

There has been no visitation of epidemic disease with the exception of one case of scarlet fever, which was at once isolated; and precautions were taken successfully to prevent the spread of the disease.

I must again add how highly I appreciate the care taken by Mr. and Mrs. Quin to ensure the comfort and health of the inmates; the institution is always a pattern of order and cleanliness.

I have the honour to be,

Sir

, Your most obedient servant,

T. M. Hocken,

Medical Officer.
page break

Otago Benevolent Institution.

Revenue Account for the Year 1881.

£ s. d. £ s. d. Dr. To Live-stock, Fodder, &c., purchased 31 5 9 To Outdoor Relief ... ... ... 3413 3 9 To Groceries, Meat, Bread, &c. ... 731 3 1 To House Furnishings and Repairs ... 115 12 2 To Salaries of Secretary, Matron, Servants, Overseer ... 516 12 0 N To Salary of Medical Officer ... 50 0 0 To Do Schoolmistress ... 60 0 0 To Do Religious Instructor ... 52 0 0 To Repairs to Buildings Fencing, &c. ... 71 7 4 To Clothing and Repairs ... 193 5 10 To Fuel ... ... ... 118 1 5 To Printing and Advertising ... 13 17 6 To Medicines, Seeds, Rates, Postage, Insurance, and Labour to Unemployed 227 16 4 To Office Rent and Stationery ... 64 3 0 To Appropriation for New Play Shed ... ... 130 0 0 5788 8 2 2823 2 0 Unexhausted Revenue, 1st January, 1882 £8611 10 2 DUNEDIN, 9th February, 1882. Cr. £ s. d. £ s. d. By Unexhausted Revenue, 1st Jan., 1881 ... ... ... 3846 13 7 To Government Subsidy to 31st Dec., 1881 ... ... ... 1878 6 6 To Subscriptions, Collections, and Donations per List ... 1844 19 0 To Interest on Savings Bank Securities and Revenue vestment ... ... ... 792 11 6 To Rents of Land at Pine Hill ... 60 18 1 To Receipts on account of Inmates ... 93 1 6 To Education Grant ... ... 95 0 0 £8611 10 2 £8611 10 2 Audited and found correct, William Brown, Auditor. Dunedin 9th February, 1882.

page break

Balance January, 1882.

Liabilities. £ s. d. £ s. d. Endowments ... ... ... 14823 10 0 Revenue Appropriation "Furniture" ... 250 0 0 Do do Building ... 130 0 0 15203 10 0 Sundry Creditors ... ... ... ... 360 2 11 Unexhausted Revenue ... ... ... ... 2823 2 0 £18,386 14 11 Assets. £ s. d £ s. d. Dunedin Savings Bank ... ... 45 0 0 Pine-hill Land ... ... 108 10 0 Saddle Hill Land ... ... 10 0 0 Caversham Land ... ... 600 0 0 Do Buildings ... ... 4530 0 0 Do House Furniture ... ... 250 0 0 Endowment Investments ... ... 9660 0 0 15203 10 0 Revenue Investment ... ... 1500 0 0 Cash in hand ... ... ... 46 12 6 Cash in Bank on current account ... ... 831 5 8 Sundry Debtors ... ... 121 4 0 Government of New Zealand (Subsidy to 31st December, 1881) ... ... ... 646 4 5 Do Education Grant ... ... 7 18 4 Live Stock ... ... 30 0 0 3183 4 11 £18,386 14 11 I have examined the Books, Vouchers, and Securities of the Benevolent Institution, and find the above Balance-Sheet correct. William Brown, Auditor February 9th, 1882.

page 10

Report of Proceedings at the Annual Meeting.

The Annual Meeting of subscribers to the Otago Benevolent Institution was held at Farley's Hall, Princes Street, at 4 p.m. yesterday. Mr. R. B. Martin, president of the Committee of Management, occupied the chair, and about 40 persons were present.

The minutes of the previous Annual Meeting were read and confirmed.

The Chairman announced that apologies had been received from the Revs. C. J. Byng and W. Ronaldson, and his Lordship Bishop Nevill for non-attendance, and that Mr. R. H. Leary would not be eligible for re-election to the Committee.

The Annual Report, and balance sheet were taken as read, and were adopted on the motion of Mr. J. Torrance, seconded by the Ven. Archdeacon Edwards.

The Rev. Dr. Stuart referred to the third paragraph of the report, and said: I have to ask you, sir, are you aware that grave charges are being circulated respecting the management and members of Committee? I have in my possession quite a bundle of libellous communications, and I should like very much to know whether you are aware that such charges are in circulation respecting the management and members of Committee, and if so, whether any steps are being taken to put an end to their circulation, as they are most certainly affecting the well being of the Institution.

The Chairman: In reply, doctor, I have to inform you that we are unfortunately too well aware of these slanderous reports. I believe there is no individual member of the Committee who has not received some of these epistles, and some are much more offensively written than others. I, along with my friend Mr. Rennie, have been most cruelly (I think) treated by the writer of these letters. Indeed all members of Committee have had to suffer annoyance, but, page 11 whether it is through our good sense or not, we have taken no action in the matter. Charges have been levelled directly against the Secretary of immoral conduct, and the Committee had a meeting to discuss the matter, and it was resolved to leave it to Mr. Quin to decide whether he should take action or not. He has taken action, having recently lodged a criminal information against Mr. Hitchcock on his own responsibility. The result, I am quite sure, will be satisfactory to all here—at least I hope so. We made no inquiry into these charges. We thought it better that the law should step in and investigate them. The charges did not influence the Committee in the slightest way, and the work of dealing with the money so liberally subscribed by the supporters of the Institution has gone on in the usual way.

The Rev. Dr. Stuart: I listen with very great pleasure. Personally, I have been acquainted with the working of the Institution since its commencement, and I never had occasion to notice anything wrong in the management; but certainly the charges circulated against the Secretary are so very grave that I think the Committee should insist upon a criminal prosecution, for the vindication of the character of their servant and the salvation of the Institution. I am very pleased to hear that the Secretary has taken action. I believe that nobody is persuaded that the letters are other than libellous. As I am very jealous of the good name of the Institution, I am very pleased to hear that steps have been taken in this matter.

Mr. E. E. C. Quick said that he had received a letter of a very abusive nature, and it plainly showed that the writer ought to be put under restraint, either as a lunatic or criminal. The charges contained in it were such as no sane man would have dared to make, and some of them had been previously investigated. He had moved that the Committee should not take any action, it being at that time a moribund one, which would not be justified in plunging into law expenses. Mr. Quin had therefore been left to act in the matter himself.

The Rev. Dr. Stuart: I am quite satisfied.

page 12

Mr. A. Rennie said he had also received considerable amount of correspondence of a nature most absurd and ridiculous in the extreme. He therefore did not take the slightest notice of the communications. It was very questionable, he thought, whether the writer was responsible for his actions.

Mr. H. J. Walter pointed out that while every member of the Committee could laugh at the statements contained in the letters sent to them, the Secretary was placed in an unfortunate position through having to go to law, and he suggested that in the event of his winning the case his expenses should be defrayed.

The Chairman explained that the Committee had minuted a suggestion to their successors to that effect.—(Hear.)

Mr. A. H. Ross: I may just say that I have been the recipient of a very great number of letters from this Mr. Hitchcock, and that the gravest charge made in them has been inquired into by a gentleman wholly unconnected with this Committee, who declares that there is not a word of truth in it. The feelings of the Committee was that a prosecution should be entered into, but the Committee did not think it would be right to spend money in the prosecution of a man not responsible for his actions. The Secretary has taken action, and I have no doubt that if he succeeds in vindicating his character, which I have no doubt he will do, subscriptions will be forthcoming to pay the expenses incurred.

The Rev. Dr. Stuart: I rise, sir, to move that Mr. R. B. Martin be appointed President for the present year, Messrs. Rennie and Fulton Vice-presidents, and Mr. James Brown Treasurer.

The motion was carried.

The Ven. Archdeacon Edwards: I have great pleasure in proposing Messrs. Quick, Carroll, Ross, Gourlay, and Captain Thomson for election to the Committee of Management. I believe they were members of the old Committee, and although as a rule I am in favour of the importation of new blood into committees, I do not think it would be advisable in the present instance. I would like to see these gentlemen, who have borne the burden and heat of the day, and passed page 13 through troublesome times, re-elected. It would show to the public that we have perfect confidence in them.

Mr. J. L Gillies seconded.

Mr. S. James moved that the three additional members be Messrs. T. S. Graham, G. Blyth, and T. W. Hungerford.

Mr. W. G. Geddes seconded.

Mr. H. S. Fish, M.H.R., remarked the absence of the three gentlemen last proposed, and thought if they really meant to take an interest in affairs they should have been present at the meeting.

It was explained that their absence was unavoidable, and the motion was put and carried.

Some discussion took place as to the desirability of organising a ladies' visiting committee, and as such a step would involve an alteration of the rules of the Institution, it was resolved—"That the Committee be empowered to form a ladies' visiting committee if deemed expedient."

The Ven. Archdeacon Edwards asked if anything had been done with the donation of £300 which was given towards the institution of an orphanage.

The Chairman said that two or three calls had been made on it, and the Committee would be prepared to meet deserving cases where children were left without parents in future.

Mr. Fish and others thought the money should have been put to a separate account, and should have been devoted to no other purpose than establishing an orphanage.

It was resolved—"That in the opinion of this meeting it is desirable that the Committee should place the £300 to a separate account, to be appropriated for the purpose indicated by the donor."

A vote of thanks was accorded to the anonymous donor of the sum, and a hope expressed that others would follow his example.

Votes of thanks were also accorded to the Chairman and to the management of the past year, and the meeting dispersed.

page 14

The Benevolent Asylum Inquiry.

In commencing the inquiry which we were requested to undertake, we encountered an initiatory difficulty in the absence of precise and specific charges concerning which the investigation should be held. Correspondence was placed in our hands containing sweeping and general assertions of mismanagement, tyranny, cruelty, and such like; but there was a want of necessary precision in details, while at the same time there was a jumble of irrelevant matter, which rendered it almost impossible for us, in the exercise of the ordinary rules for guidance in matters of complaint, to arrive at a proper comprehension of the charges made. We did not feel warranted in entering into a roving inquiry of a vague and general character. We hold it to be the duty of a complainer to state accurately the exact nature of his complaint in a specific manner, giving the time when, the place where, and the other facts on which he founds. It is only in this way that an accused person can understand and properly answer charges made, or that evidence adduced can be kept within proper limits. We accordingly selected a few special points for a beginning, and resolved to limit the inquiry in the first instance to the following:—1. The case of James Knight Neal. 2. Two sudden deaths—Tom Floyd and Henry Hill—on which no inquests were held. And 3. The case of John Rollins.

Mr. C. D. Hitchcock appeared as complainer, and was permitted to conduct the inquiry and to adduce such witnesses as he desired to examine. We found that he had a very strong bias against the members of the Committee of the Benevolent Institution, Mr. Hocken, and Mr. and Mrs. Quin personally, which warped his judgment in the proper management of the inquiry and led him into indiscretions. He apparently had no experience in judging of the value of testimony; nor did he seem to be acquainted with the ordinary procedure for expiscating the truth. In his eyes the testimony of a brothel-keeper was of the same weight as that of a respectable citizen. Every help was given to keep him right, but it finally appeared that unless we were page 15 prepared to sacrifice our own judgment and look at everything from his point of view, he considered us as actuated by partial and hostile motives. He was at last carried away by his indiscretion, and used language which we could not with self-respect submit to. For this he was requested to apologise, and he having declined to do so, we refused to hear him further in the matter. Anxious, however, that the investigation should not be checked, we agreed to examine any witnesses Mr. Hitchcock might tender, and even to allow him to suggest questions. He declined to proceed on the terms offered. J he inquiry was then brought to a premature termination; but before closing, an opportunity was given to Mr. Quin to answer the evidence which had been led, and to any other party to appear who had information to give. From the circumstances mentioned, the inquiry has not been so full and exhaustive as we could have wished; but in so far as regards the specific cases previously stated, we have no hesitation in affirming that there is no reason for believing that any blame is attributable to Mr. and Mrs. Quin connected therewith. Attempts were made by inuendo to insinuate that money had passed into Mr. Quin's hands and had not been accounted for. We are completely satisfied that such insinuations are entirely groundless. Every payment referred to was duly entered in the books and accounted for in the printed annual report, and we cannot condemn too strongly the suggestion made that there was any malversation, as on all the items mentioned the complainer might have satisfied himself by previous inquiry; there was no room even for suspicion. In the examination of one or two witnesses there was in the questions put a false suggestion thrown out that Floyd had committed suicide. A very little care would have enabled the complainer to ascertain the real fact—that Floyd had not committed suicide, but had died from the incurable malady under which he was labouring when he left the Hospital and was admitted to the Institution. In this point, as in others, the complainer was carried away by an undue bias which made him anxious that the facts should square with his preconceived but unwarrantable conclusion that there had been misconduct on the part of everyone connected with the Institution. We page 16 are of opinion that Mr. Hocken exercised a wise discretion in not holding inquests in the cases mentioned. There was no necessity for subjecting the country to the expense of inquests in these cases, and Mr. Hocken is to be commended for declining to hold them, although he might otherwise have pocketed the statutory allowance. The only matter with which we could fault is one for which neither the Committee nor the officers are to blame. A number of helpless incurables from various parts of the Provincial District have been placed in the Institution without there being any suitable structural arrangements or proper means for their due care. Such inmates would require one or more wards for themselves, and a nursing staff. There are other inmates whose failing energies ought not to be too much taxed with giving attention night and day to their helpless companions. Their rest at night must often be disturbed, and the want of proper ventilation must have an injurious effect on their health. We are of opinion that, in justice to the ordinary inmates of the Institution, as well as to the master and matron, who have quite enough to occupy their time in the management of the ordinary departments under their charge the incurables should be, as soon as provision can be made, removed to a proper hospital, where their sufferings might be alleviated under constant medical attendance and the care of trained nurses.

In conclusion, we cannot help pointing out that we think the inquiry a mistake in itself. We had no power to put witnesses on oath, and any of those examined might say what they chose without incurring the pains of perjury. We had no control over the complainer, except that we could decline hearing him further. As an instance of our being hampered and placed in a false position, the case of William Martin may be referred to. This witness made a strong statement in regard to the quality of the food. After his examination in chief it was only just that we should allow the Committee an opportunity to cross-examine; but the witness at once said he would not remain, and although specially called on to do so, he unceremoniously walked off. Mr. Tyree, who had been assisting Mr. Hitchcock, then said the witness had been instructed not to remain. Misconduct so gross, if it had taken place in a court of law, would have page 17 involved both the refractory witness and his instructors in well-deserved punishment. We had only the alternative of setting aside the testimony of Martin, contradicted as it was by other witnesses as wholly unworthy of credit. The fact stated, that the witness had been instructed, is sufficient to discredit the complainer's case. Tutoring or instructing a witness is considered to be a serious offence, and has the invariable result of destroying all faith in a case which is bolstered up by such partial evidence and gross irregularity. Moreover, the Benevolent Asylum is a voluntary institution, presided over by a Committee elected annually by the subscribers. The annual meeting is the proper place for making charges against the functionaries. The subscribers have it in their power to elect a special committee of investigation at any time. But we suggest that no inquiry should be allowed unless the charges are made in a formal and precise manner, so as to be fairly investigated and answered by the accused, according to the practice followed in the courts of justice.

We have finally to add that in the imperfect inquiry we have led nothing has come under our observation to lead to the faintest suspicion there is any defect or irregularity in the management, or to abate the confidence the public have placed in it. Limited to its proper uses, the Benevolent Institution is an invaluable charity, doing a large work in relieving the helpless and destitute, with comparatively small means. We think the Committee entitled to the warmest thanks of the public for their gratuitous and philanthropic labours, and we cordially recommend that their hands be strengthened by a greater interest being talen generally in support of the Institution.

John Bathgate

John Logan.

Dunedin,
page 18
Male. Female. Total Old and past work, or infirm .. .. 27 10 87 Paralysed .. .. .. .. 6 .. 6 Crippled .. .. .. .. 6 2 8 Blind .. .. .. .. 4 .. 4 Chest Disease .. .. .. 3 .. 3 Weak Intellect .. .. .. 1 1 2 47 13 60

Table I. Showing the Number of adult Inmates at Caversham 1st January, 1882 and what incapacitates them from earning a living.

Men's Ages. Total. Women's Ages. Total. Children's Ages. Total. Grand Total. Years. Years. 85, 82, 79, 76, 82, 72, 72, 71, 14, 13, 11, 10, 76, 75, 75, 75, 70, 66, 65, 61, 10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 74, 74, 74, 74, 52, 45, 45, 36, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 7, 73, 73, 72, 72, 32. 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 71, 71, 70, 70, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 70, 69, 68, 67, 3, 3, 3. 67, 66, 66, 66, 65, 64, 63, 63, 62, 60, 60, 60, 60, 58, 55, 55, 50, 50, 48, 45, 43, 40, 34. 47 13 30 90

Table II. Shewing the respective Ages of the Inmates of the Institution at Caversham, 1st January, 1882.

CAUSeS. men. WOMEN. BOYS. GIRLS. TOTAL. Left Voluntarily .. .. 5 9 .. .. 14 Discharged .. .. .. 5 3 .. .. 8 Dead .. .. 4 1 .. 1 6 Sent to Hospital .. .. 3 4 .. .. 7 Sent to Lunatic Asylum .. .. 1 .. .. .. 1 Taken out by Friends .. .. .. .. 8 7 15 Placed in Service .. .. .. .. 3 2 5 18 17 11 10 56

Table III. Shewing the Number of Persons Discharged from the Institution during 1881.

page 19
Men. Women. Children. Total. Protestant. Roman Catholic. Total. Corresponding Totals. 1880. 1879. 1878. 1877. 1876. Inmates 1st January, 1881 .. .. 47 12 36 95 85 10 95 86 76 74 81 78 Admitted during 1881 18 18 15 51 47 4 51 76 58 41 36 76 Total .. .. 65 30 51 146 132 14 146 162 134 115 117 154 Discharged during 1881 18 17 21 56 52 4 56 67 48 39 43 73 Remaining 1st July, 1882 .. .. 47 13 30 90 80 10 90 95 86 76 74 81

Table IV. Shewing the Number of Persons Admitted to and Discharged from the Institution during 1831, and Number remaining 1st January, 1882.

Adults. Children. Protestation. Total. Roman Catholic. Total. Corresponding Totals. Men. Women. 1880. 1879. 1878. 1877. Relieved during 1881 .. 171 405 1109 1685 1404 281 1685 1601 1521 1436 1305 Discharged during 1881 .. 122 224 617 963 803 160 963 1008 1002 1042 982 Remaining on Books, 1st January, 1882. 49 181 492 722 601 121 722 593 579 394 323

Table V. Shewing the Total Number of Persons relieved Outdoor and Discharged during 1881, and the Number remaining on the Books, 1st January, 1882.

page 20

Rules of the Benevolent Institution, Dunedin.

Objects:

To Relieve the Aged, Infirm, Disabled, and Destitute of all Creeds and Nations, Afford Them Medical Relief, and to Minister to Them the Comforts of Religion.

Rules and Regulations.

Qualifications and Privileges of Governors and Subscribers.

Qualification of Life Governors.

1. Every donor of £20 or upwards shall be a Life Governor; and every person who may have raised, or shall raise, by one or more collections in one year, the sum of twenty pounds (£20) or upwards, from persons not claiming membership on account of their contributions towards such sum; and every executor first named in any Will, proving the same, and paying to the Institution a bequest of fifty pounds (£50) or upwards, shall have all the rights and privileges of a Life Governor.

Qualification of Members

2. Every Subscriber of one guinea or upwards shall be an annual Member, and shall have the privilege of recommending cases of distress for relief, and of voting at the election of office bearers, provided that he shall not be entitled to vote until three months after the payment of his first Annual Subscription. The Annual Subscription shall be due and payable on the 1st day of January in each year.
page 21
3. There shall be, in the month of January in

Annual General Meeting In the month of January.

every year, a General Meeting of the Life Governors and Members of the Institution, to be held at such place as the General Committee shall appoint (of which meeting fourteen days' previous notice shall be given in two or more of the Dunedin newspapers), to receive the Report and Accounts of the Committee of management; to elect the Committee and other Office-bearers; and to transact the general business of the Institution.
4. The Office-bearers of the Institution shall

Office-bearers to be elected annually.

consist of:—a President, Vice-President, Honorary Treasurer, and a General Committee of any number not exceeding eight members (exclusive of ex officio Members), to be elected at the Annual General Meeting, by and from the Life Governors and Members.
5. The President, Vice-President, Treasurer,

Ex-officio Members of Committee.

Honorary Medical Officers, and the resident principal Minister of each congregation contributing a collection to the funds of the Institution (being qualified as Governors) shall be ex-officio Members of Committee; but no ex-officio Members, except Honorary Office-bearers, shall vote on the removal or appointment of any paid servant of the Institution.
6. The General Committee shall meet once in

Committee Meetings, when to be held.

the week, and at all such other times as they may appoint, to receive the report of the various officers, and to discuss the general business of the Institution; three to form a quorum. A Committee Meeting shall be held on the first Monday in every February and August, to enter into the contracts for the supply of provisions and other necessaries; five to form a quorum.
7. The President, Vice-President, or Treassurer

Who to preside at Committee Meetings.

shall preside at all meetings of Committee; and in their absence, the majority present shall appoint their own Chairman, who shall have an additional or casting vote.?
page 22

Committee to frame Bye-laws and Regulations.

8. The Committee shall frame such Bye-laws and Regulations as they may deem necessary, the same not being at variance with the general laws of the Institution.

Special General Meeting of Sub-scribers, how to be convened.

9. The Committee of Management may convene a special general meeting of subscribers at any time, upon giving notice at least fourteen days previously, in two or more of the Dunedin newspapers, which notice shall be repeated three times. Any thirty Life Governors or Subscribers may request the Committee to call a special meeting at any time; and should they, after receiving such requisition so signed, refuse or neglect to call such meeting within fourteen days, it shall be in the power of the said requisitionists to convene such meeting, upon given notice as directed above.

Bye-laws to be repealed only at special meetings.

10. No bye-law or regulation shall be altered or repealed except at a special meeting of Committee; such meeting to consist of not less than five members.

How appointments are to be made by the Committee.

11. That in electing to any appointment by the Committee, when there are more applicants than are required, the voting shall take place by voting cards; and in all cases the salary shall be determined before proceeding to election.

Honorary Medical Officers and their qualifications.

12. There shall be two or more Medical Officers, not to exceed four, whose appointment shall be honorary; and no one shall be eligible for the office of Medical Officer who is not certificated by the Medical Board of Otago.

Appointment of Honorary Medical Officers and filling up of vacancies.

13. The Honorary Medical Officers shall be chosen by the Committee, and shall be amenable to the rules made by them. If any vacancy occurs by death, removal, or retirement, such vacancy shall be filled up at a special meeting of Committee, to be convened for that purpose.

How Medical Officers shall re-port.

14. That the Honorary Medical Officers shall report on the state of the inmates at the weekly meeting of Committee.?
page 23
15. That no application be received unless

Conditions of admission to Institution.

signed by a Subscriber; and no person shall be admitted until the expiration of one week from the date of applying, to allow time for inquiry, except in special cases.
16. Tenders for all supplies shall be invited

Tenders to be called for supplies.

for a period of not less than 6 months, the amount of such tenders to be duly recorded in the Minute-book. No member of Committee to supply any article for the use of the Institution, for which he may receive pecuniary or other compensation.
17. The House Visiting Committee, consisting

House Visiting Committee, how to be appointed.

of three Members, shall be appointed by and from the General Committee, at the monthly meetings in February, May, August and November in each year, to act in rotation. Members retiring to be eligible for re-appointment.
18. It shall be their duty to visit the Institution

Dunes of Visiting Committee.

at least once a week, to make a general inspection, and to record the result in the Minute- book to be kept in the Institution; such book to be produced at the weekly meeting of the Committee.
19. The superintendent, or other officer appointed

Management of Institution.

by the Committee, shall have the management of the Institution, subject to the regulations and orders of the Committee.
20. The inmates of the Institution will be

Religious Instruction.

allowed religious instruction from the ministers of the denomination to which they belong, at such times as the Committee may appoint.?
page 24

Life Governors.

• Bannerman, Rev. W.
  • Barr, John A.
  • Bastings, Horace
  • Bateman, G. C.
  • Bell, Sir F. D.
  • Borrie, Donald
  • Bunbury, Cornelius
  • Burton, A. H.
  • Byng, Rev. C. J.
  • Cable, H.
  • Calcutt, Thomas
  • Campbell, Robert J.
  • Chapman, Robert
  • Clarke, Wm. J. Sunbury, Victoria
  • Coote, Charles
  • Cutten, C. W.
  • Davidson, James
  • Davis, Rev. J. U.
  • Dench, H.
  • Dodson, George
  • Dodson, Thomas
  • Douglas, W. S.
  • Dowse, George
  • Driver, Henry
  • Edinburgh, H.R.H. Duke of
  • Edmond, John
  • Edwards, Rev. E. G.
  • Fargie, John
  • Farrer, W, E.
  • Fish, H. S. junior
  • Forsyth, Robert
  • Fulton, Francis
  • Fulton, James
  • Geddes, W. G.
  • Gillies, J. L.
  • Gourley, Hugh
  • Green, M. W.
  • Guthrie, W.
  • Hardy, H. F.
  • Harris, Woolf
  • Hazlett, James
  • Henry, J. G.
  • Hislop, John, jeweller
  • Hlomes, James S.
  • Holmes, Hon. Matthew
  • Hudson, R.
  • Hume, Marcus
  • Hungerford, T. W.
  • Inglis, A.
  • Jack, A. Hill
  • James, S.
  • Jameson, J. M.
  • Jobberns, J.
  • Kennedy, William
  • Kirkcaldy, W. C.
  • Lambert, W.
  • Lane, Wm.
  • Larnach, W. J. M.
  • Laurenson, Fleming
  • Leary, R. H.
  • Leitch, Peter
  • Little, Samuel
  • Low, Thomas
  • Mackie, Rev. L.
  • Macandrew, James
  • McKegg, Amos
  • Maitland, J. P.
  • Marshall, James
  • Martin, R. B.
  • Meenan, F.
  • Mercer, Andrew
  • Mill, John
  • Moore, Caleb
  • Morley, Carmini
  • Murray, R. K.
  • M 'Callum, Captain
  • M'Gregor, Alex.
  • McLean, Hugh J.
  • McLean, Lachlan
  • McLean, Hon. Geo.
  • McDougal, Wm.
  • MacNeill, Hugh
  • McTaggart, Duncan
  • Neill, P. C.
  • Patterson, W.
  • Roberts, John, of Murray
  • Roberts and Co.
  • Petre, F. W.
  • Pyke, Vincent
  • Ramsay, Keith
  • Reany, J.
  • Reeves, Charles S.
  • Rennie, A.
  • Robin, James
  • Russell Geo. G.
  • Scoular, J.
  • Simpson, Jamespage 25
  • Shrimski, Samuel
  • Smith, S. G.
  • Snow, William
  • Spedding, D. M.
  • Stephenson, John
  • Stratford, H. A.
  • Street, C. H.
  • Strode, A. C.
  • Stronach, Donald
  • Stuart, Rev. D. M.
  • Sutherland, Rev. J. M.
  • Taggart, W. H.
  • Talbot, H.
  • Telford, William
  • Templeton, Thomas
  • Thomson, C.
  • Thompson, Captain
  • Thomson, R.
  • Trotter, Wm. S.
  • Turnbull, George
  • Valentine, Arch.
  • Vogel, Sir Julius
  • Wain, Job, jnr.
  • Walter, Henry J.
  • Watson, J.
  • West, George
  • Wilson, W.
  • Young, Joseph

Ladies who are Entitled to the Rights and Privileges of Life Governors.

• Mrs. L. O. Beal
  • Miss Buchannan
  • Mrs. E. B. Cargill
  • Mrs. Caldecutt
  • Mrs. C. Cook
  • Mrs. S Dewes
  • Mrs. Dick
  • Mrs. Edwards
  • Mrs. Farley
  • Mrs. Fisher
  • Mrs. Graham
  • Mrs. Harvey
  • Mrs. Holmes
  • Mrs. A. Inglis
  • Miss Jarrat
  • Miss Lachman
  • Mrs. Lawson
  • Mrs. Muir
  • Mrs. Rattray
  • Mrs. J. Smith
  • Mrs. Tolmie
  • Lady Vogel
  • Miss E. Walcott
  • Mrs. H. J. Walter
page 26

List of Subscription, Donation, and Collections

For the Year 1881.
£ s. d.
Aikman, John 1 1 0
Allen, James 2 2 0
Aldrich, G. M. (collected) 12 5 0
Alexander and Shepherd 1 1 0
Almao, Vincenzo 2 0 0
Anderson, J. 1 10 0
Anonymous 300 0 0
Baird, R. B. 5 0 0
Baker, Miss 2 0 0
Bank of New Zealand 5 5 0
Bank, Union 5 5 0
Bank, N.S. Wales 5 5 0
Bank, Colonial of New Zealand 5 5 0
Banks, Barron, and Co. 2 2 0
Bagley, R. P. 1 1 0
Bagley, B. 2 2 0
Barr and Oliver 2 2 0
Bastings and Leary 2 2 0
Baxter, David 1 1 0
Barron, Wm. 5 0 0
Bell, George 2 2 0
Beal, L. O. 2 2 0
Beaumont, entertainment at (per J. Bennett) 6 7 6
Bing, Harris, and Co. 3 3 0
Bishop, Jas., at Hill-end, proceeds of ball 6 0 0
Borthwick, Mrs. 5 0 0
Boxes—R.M. Court, Waikouaiti 0 13 3
Mosgiel 2 12 6
Corporation 0 11 10
Working Men's Club 1 0 6
Post Office 0 4 0
R. H. Leary 1 15 0
Institution 0 15 7
Blyth, G. 2 2 0
Blue Mountain Blackbirds. Glenkenich 4 7 6
Briscoe and Co., A. 10 10 0
Brown, James 3 0 0
Brown, George 1 1 0
Brown, Wm. 4 4 0
Brown, Ewing, & Co. 2 2 0
Bridgeman, Wm., 1 1 0
Burton, Thomas 1 1 0
Burt, A. and T. 5 5 0
Butterworth Bros. 2 2 0
Carroll, John 1 1 0
Carroll, John (collected) 3 5 0
Cargills, Gibbs, and Co. 5 0 0
Campbell, Daniel 2 2 0
Cary, R. W. (Benefit at Queen's Theatre) 9 14 4
Chapman, H. S., Hon. 3 3 0
Chapman, Robert 7 7 0
Churches.—
First Church 27 0 0
Knox Church 44 6 0
St. Paul's 31 14 2
St. Matthew's 25 15 1
Congregational, Lawrence 3 12 0
Baptist, Dunedin 11 1 10
Chatton, Concert at (per F. Collins) 11 0 0
Cowie, George 2 2 0
Cook, Mrs. (collected at Waitahuna) 16 2 0
Connell, J. A. 3 8 0
Conscience Money 3 0 0
Couston, Wm. 2 2 0page 27
D. J. 3 0 0
Dalgety and Co. 5 5 0
Denniston and Co., G. S. 1 1 0
Donaldson, John 1 1 0
Dunedin Jockey Club 63 18 6
Dunedin Exhibition Committee 181 15 6
Dunedin, Corporation of 3 0 0
Dunn, Wm. (per J. L. Gillies) 5 0 0
Driver, Henry 1 1 0
Esther and Low 2 2 0
Fidler, Wm. 0 10 6
Fiske, Mrs. (proceeds of sewing machine) 10 0 0
Fen wick, Mrs. (collected) 7 0 0
Fergusson and Mitchell 2 2 0
Fleming, John 1 1 0
Fulton, Francis 5 0 0
Gage, J. and W. 2 0 0
Geddes, W. G. (collected) 3 0 0
Gilchrist, Mrs. 2 2 0
Gibbs, Bright, and Co. 2 2 0
Gourley, Hugh 2 2 0
Green, M. W. (collected) 6 10 0
Gregg and Co. 2 2 0
Gunn, George 5 0 0
Gunn and Ross 1 1 0
Hardy, H. F. 10 10 0
Harris, R. G. 6 5 0
Hayman, M. 1 1 0
Hayman and Co., P. 2 2 0
Hay, C. S., Deep Dell Station 4 2 0
Haydon, W. H. 1 1 0
Hay, Robert 1 1 0
Herbert, George 5 5 0
Herbert, Haynes, an Co. 5 5 0
Heymanson, Low and Co. 2 2 0
Hislop, J. A. 1 1 0
Hocken, T. M. 5 5 0
Hogg, Howieson, anc Co. 1 1 0
Howorth and Hodgkins 3 3 0
Howell, George 1 1 0
Hungerford, T. W. 2 2 0
Isaacs, Jacob 1 1 0
Inglis, A. and T. 5 5 0
Jacobs, S. 1 1 0
Jack, A. Hill 1 1 0
Keligher, Patk. 1 1 0
Keast and McCarthy employes of 10 0 0
Kennedy, Wm., New York 2 2 0
Kenyon, E. P. 3 3 0
Kempthorne, T. W. 10 10 0
Kempthorne, Prosser, and Co. 4 4 0
Kohn, S. 0 5 0
L. M., per H. F Hardy 10 0 0
Lang lands, Wm. 2 2 0
Lawson, R. A. 2 2 0
Livingston, A. R. 1 1 0
Marks, R. M. 1 1 0
Martin and Watson 2 2 0
Mendershausen, Max 1 1 0
Middleton, John 2 2 0
Miller, W., shearer of 1 5 0
Milne, Mrs. 2 0 0
Michaelis, Hallenstein, and Farquhar 3 3 0
Mirams, S. H., Mr (collected) 15 0 0
Moloney, Nicholas 1 0 0
Mollison, James 1 1 0
Mollison, Alex. 1 1 0
Moss, Moss 1 1 0
Mount Cargill district, per Dr. Stuart 3 0 0
Murray, Roberts, and Co. 2 2 0
McFarlane, A. and J. 1 1 0
McKay, Richard 6 0 0
McKerras and Hazlitt 2 2 0
McLandress and Co. 2 2 0
McLaren, John 1 1 0
McLaren, Robert 2 2 0
McLeod, D. 2 0 0page 28
Naughton, Patrick 1 0 0
Neville, Mrs. (collected) 15 0 0
N.Z. and Australian Land Co. 10 10 0
N.Z. and Mercantile Agency Co. 3 3 0
N.Z. Hardware Co. 2 2 0
Nixon, J. F. 1 1 0
O'Driscoll, George 2 2 0
Otago Typographical Association 2 2 0
Park and Curie 2 2 0
Patterson, Wm., per 40 0 0
Pillans, F. S. 5 0 0
Pillans, M. L. 3 0 0
Pillans, A. S. 2 0 0
Pillans, F. S., servants of 1 5 0
Puerua, concert at 20 0 0
Quick, E. C. 3 3 0
Quick, E. C. (collected) 8 4 6
Randall, R. 1 0 0
Rattray and Co., J. 5 5 0
Reid, Chas. 5 5 0
Reid and Gray (unclaimed wages) 3 8 6
Reynolds, Hon. W. H. 2 2 0
Ritchie, T. M. 2 2 0
Robinson, W., per Dr. Coughtrey 0 10 0
Roberts, J. T. 1 1 0
Ross, A. H. 2 12 6
Ross, A. H., per 30 0 6
Ross and Glendining 5 5 0
Russell, G. G. 37 12 8
Rutherford, P. 2 2 0
Sargood, Son, and Co. 7 7 0
Scanlan Bros. 1 1 0
Scoullar, W. and J. 2 2 0
Service of Song ("Moses"), Proceeds of 8 12 0
Shaw, J., Balclutha 1 0 0
Sievwright and Stout 2 2 0
Sise, G. L., and Co. 2 2 0
Slater, Joseph 2 0 0
Slater and others (collected) 206 11 0
Smith, R. P. 1 1 0
Smith, E. (per Co-operative Society) 8 17 3
Smith, S. G. 1 1 0
Somerville, J. 1 0 0
Spence, Mrs. 0 4 0
Spence, E. J. 1 1 0
Stavely, Austin, and Co. 1 1 0
Star Runners' Society 3 3 0
Stewart and Denniston 5 15 6
Stout, R., Proceeds of Lecture by 13 3 0
Strode, A. C. 5 5 0
Sullivan, M. 0 9 0
Sutherland, W. D. (collected) 25 0 0
Taranaki Fund, Balance of (per E. B. Cargill) 60 0 0
Thompson, Captain (collected) 15 0 0
Thomson and Co. 1 1 0
Traill, C. 4 0 0
Tressider, P. 1 0 0
Turnbull, George 5 5 0
Union S. S. Co. 5 5 0
Vaninie, D. 3 0 0
Vincent County Council 25 0 0
Wales, N. Y. A. 3 3 0
Walter, H. J., Mrs. (collected) 22 12 0
Walden, Henry 1 1 0
Watson Bros. 2 2 0
Wathen, W. A. (balance of funds of Glee Club) 1 14 0
Warepa, Concert at (per J. Crawford) 25 0 0
Wilkinson and Pettit 12 0 0
Wilkie, Mrs., senior 5 0 0
Wilson, William 1 1 0
Wilson, William 1 0 0
Wilson, R., and Co. 2 2 0
Wise, H., and Co. 1 1 0
Wright, Stephenson, and Co. 2 2 0
Young, G. and T. 1 1 0
£1844 19 0
page 29
Supplementary List of Subscriptions received too late for insertion in Balance Sheet.
£ s. d.
Dey, Peter 1 0 0
Fish, H. S. 1 1 0
Fulton, James 3 3 0
Kaitangata, proceed of concert at, per J. Shore 23 0 0
Lambert, J. H. 1 1 0
Letham, S. and R. 1 10 0
Mills, Wm., Auckland 2 0 0
Morris, A. W. 5 0 0
Rennie, A. 1 1 0
Rowley and Hamilton 10 0 0
Snow, William 1 1 0