Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 31

Testimonials

page break

Testimonials.

Students' Certificate.

The Education Committee of the General Assembly of I the Church of Scotland hereby certify, that Miss Elizabeth Kerr Hay, a native of the parish of Kilsyth, was admitted a Student of the Glasgow Normal School, on the 4th day of September, 1855; that she continued her studies there from that date until 4th July, 1857—that the nature and extent of her acquirements at the period of her leaving the Institution, were ascertained by special examination, conducted in presence of the Committee as well as by the Rector's Reports, and may be de, scribed as follows:—
Religions Instruction Very Good.
English Grammar Excellent.
Arithmetic Very Good.
Geography Very Good.
English and Scottish History Good.
Vocal Music Very Fair.
Drawing Good.
Skill in Teaching Excellent.

Signed in name and by appointment of the Committee at Glasgow, the 4th day of July, 1857.

Jas. Craik, D. D.

page 4

Schoolmistresses Certificate

The Committee of the Privy Council on Education Hereby Certify that Elizabeth Kerr Hay, a Student in the Glasgow Established Church Training College, was examined in the month of June, 1857, before Her Majesty's Inspector of Schools, according to the course of Study which-answers to the Second year of Normal Training.

On a subsequent occasion, viz: in the month of August, 1860, having been employed for 2 ¼ years in the Renton General Assembly Female School, she was require to teach a class in the presence of Her Majesty's Inspector of Schools, who made the following Report upon her skill, as s hewn by that exercise:

Miss Elizabeth Kerr Hay in personally well fitted for the office of a Teacher—she maintains excellent order, is acquainted with the usually approved methods of imparting instruction, and is diligent and successful in applying them; altogether, she appears to exercise a very good moral influence on the young.

Ed. Woodford,

H. M. Inspector.

The Certificate thus far is limited to the proof of attainments and skill by examination. The Committee of Council are aware that there are other qualifications not less necessary to the success of a Teacher in the management of an Elementary School.

Their Lordships have therefore provided, as a means of encouragement to deserving Schoolmistresses, that Her Majesty's Inspector shall, at the visits which be will annually make to the School conducted by the possessor of this Certificate, enter at its foot a brief account of the condition of the School during each of five succeeding rears; a Schoolmistress of merit is this enabled to accumulate evidence of her practical success.

R. Lowe,

Vice-President.
page 5

First Years' Inspection (since the last recorded date)—"The discipline is very good, and the instruction, so far as it goes, is imparted with skill and energy." Renton, G. A. S., 12th June, 1861.

John Black,

H. M. Inspector.

Second Years' Inspection—"The Mistress evinces much skill and zeal in teaching the elementary steps to which she is confined, by the early removal of the children to the work:—Renton, G. A. S. 2nd July, 1862.

Ed. Woodford,

H. M. Inspector.

Third Years' Inspection—"While the School continues to be efficiently conducted as a whole, there is since last year more appearance of an advanced class, though the average age appears the same."—Kenton, G. A. S., 24th June, 1863.

Ed. Woodford,

H. M. Inspector

From Joseph Douglas, Esq., Rector of the Glasgow Training College, Dundas Vale. Glasgow,

The Bearer, Miss Elizabeth Kerr Hay, has attended this Institution as a Student since 1st September, 1855. Her attendance has been extremely punctual and regular, and her conduct singularly praiseworthy and prudent.

She is thoroughly qualified to teach Religious Knowledge., English Reading, English Grammar, (including Analyses of Sentences) History of Great Britain, Complete Course of Arithmetic, Book-keeping by Single Entry, and Writing.

She has made considerable progress in Drawing, having received regular instruction in the Art for nearly two years.

She is also well aquatinted with the Theory and Practice of Vocal Music,

The Matron of the Institution, in the most confident terms, assures me that Miss Hay is eminently fitted to undertake the instruction of girls in all kinds of needlework, and that she is a person likely to exercise a most beneficial influence over the manners and habits of Such girls as attend ordinary Elementary Schools.

page 6

Miss Hay has already enjoyed considerable experience in teaching.

She assisted her Brother for one year in the important and admirably conducted School of Spring burn, and during the whole term of her attendance here she has taught daily in the School, and always with much acceptance.

There are few young women whom I can recommend as so well qualified to discharge all the duties of a Female Industrial School as I know Miss Bay to be, both from her natural ability and her acquired skill.

(Signed) Jos. Douglas,

Rector.
From Archibald McTaggart, Head Master, Martyr's School, Glasgow. Glasgow,

I can speak with assurance of Miss Hay's qualifications as a Teacher. During her two years attendance at the Glasgow Established Church Normal School, I had ample opportunity, as Master of the Initiatory Department, of observing the results of her Teaching; and these in all their details were of the most satisfactory kind.

On entering the Institution, Miss Hay was well recommended, and her work there more than confirmed all that had previously been said in her favour.

It is perhaps not too much to say that, in the general management of the classes in trusted to her care, she excelled every female student then in training.

She was commended for four things in teaching—her constant application, her excellent tact, her judicious arrangement, and her ability to command attention and in the ordinary reports made on the Student's progress in the art, she was always favourably noticed.

It may be further stated that Miss Hay, not only acquitted herself well in the Practising Schools, but was also well spoken of in connection with all the subjects prescribed in the Government course of Training.

From these and other considerations, I have much pleasure in bearing testimony to Miss Hay's high professional qualifications, and can, with much candour, recommend her to those who may be able to advance her interests.

(Signed) Archibald McTaggart.

page 7
From Rev. William Dunn, Minister of Cardross, Dumbartonshire. Government Correspondent of Schools. Cardross Manse,

Miss E. Hay has had charge of the Renton G. A. Female School, since April, 1858, and discharged her laborious duties with great assiduity and success..

The School has always flourished under her charge, and I regard her in all respects as a first-rate Teacher.

(Signed) Wm. Dunn.

From William Logan, B. A., London University, Rector Dalmonach School, Vale of Leven, Dumbarton.

It gives me much pleasure to express the very high opinion I entertain of Miss Hay's character and professional qualifications. As a Teacher, she has been eminently successful—zealously devoting the whole of her energies to her School duties. In her School, she maintains perfect order, and from the lively manner in which she imparts instruction, carries the attention of the children wholly along with her, while the general kindliness of her manner endears her to all.

From personal acquaintance, I can testify that she brings to her work a mind unusually well informed, and is thoroughly skilled in all the most approved methods of imparting Instruction, usually followed in the best conducted schools. Miss Hay has given very great satisfaction as a Teacher while in the Vale of Leven, and I am confident that to whatever School she may hereafter be appointed, she will be equally successful.

(Signed) William Logan.

From Rev. Wm. Stephen, Incumbent of Episcopal Church, Dumbarton. The Parsonage, Dumbarton,

I have known Miss Hay, presently teacher at Renton, for the past two or three years and do willingly certify her to be extremely well qualified for the duties of her office.

page 8

She is painstaking mid industrious, keeps a firm and gentle hold on her pupils, is very well informed, and knows the art of communicating her knowledge to the young.

I believe her to be a most excellent teacher, and well worthy of any good School.

(Signed) W. Stephen.

From Rev William Dunn, Minister of Cardross' Cardross Manse,

That Miss Hay superintended the Renton Female School for several years with great diligence and success, that she has a thorough knowledge of the various branches of Education generally taught in Schools; and that she is, in my opinion, a teacher of first-class attainments, is certified by

Wm. Dunn.

Minister of Cardross.
Copy of Resolution passafd by the Oamaru School Committee. Proposed by Mr. Waddell—Seconded by Mr. Smith. Oamaru,

Miss Elizabeth K. Ray was appointed by the Oamaru School Committee to be Female Teacher in the District School in January last, having been preferred before a number of other applicants. She continued to act for 10 ½ months when, to the regret of the Committee, she sent in her resignation. The Committee now certify that Miss Hay discharged her duties most efficiently, and to their entire satisfaction, and that of the parents of the pupils, who have expressed great regret at her leaving.

James Ashcroft

, Chairman.
From Rev. Charles Connor, Presbyterian Minister, Oamaru. Oamaru,

It gives me much pleasure to testify to the excellent character of Miss Elizabeth K. Hay. While teacher the District School here, she was beloved by the children, greatly respected by the parents, gave the utmost satisfaction to the School Committee; and all interested in the School felt that they had lost a valuable teacher to the District, and one every way qualified for the position she held.

page 9

she is kind and affable in her manners, prudent and circumspect in co-operating with, and in carrying forward the views of her employers.

If she is successful in procuring the situation for which she now applies, I am confident she will efficiently, energetically and conscientiously discharge the duties devolving in her, and give the Teacher and Committee no reason to regret their choice of her as an instructor and trainer of youth.

(Signed) Charles Connor.

From the Rev. Algernon Gifford, Incumbent Episcopal Church, Oamaru, Parsonage, Oamaru, My dear Miss Hay,

I have much pleasure in view of your applying for the North Dunedin District School to say, for the information of whom it may concern, that I entertain very high opinions of your ability and skill as a Teacher—as well as of the soundness of your own education,—and I can bear high testimony to the worth of your character in every other respect.

With kind wishes to yourself and your sister, I am,

Yours very sincerely,

(Signed) Algernon Gifford.

From the Secretary to The Otago Educational Board. Education Office, Dunedin, To Miss E. K Hay, Schoolmistress, North Dunedin School. Madam,

In consequence of the very satisfactory testimonials you brought with you, and of your having served under the Otago Education Board for upwards of five years, with acceptance and success, you have been placed on our Register as a Certificated Schoolmistress of the First (Highest) Class, under the Boards regulations of February, 1872.

page 10

I mention the date of the Regulations, for the Beard Regulations of September, 1874, are intended to apply mainly to persons seeking admission to the service subsequently to their adoption, and classification under them, is based upon an examination.

I take this opportunity to express my sense of the very able and successful manner in which you have performed your duties as a. Schoolmistress under the Board, and my esteem for your personal Character.

John Hislop,

Secretary and Inspector.
From D. Petrie, M. A., Inspector of Schools, for Otago Education Board, Education Office, Dunedin,

I have much pleasure in certifying that I examined, in August 1874, the Initiatory Department of the North Dunedin School, conducted by Miss Hay, and that the instruction of the several Classes (all of them Elementary) was in every respect satisfactory, and their tone and discipline excellent. The industrial work of the School, also under Miss Hay's charge, was very well done.

D. Petrie, M. A.,

Inspector of Schools for Otago Education Board.
From Alexander Stewart, Esq., Head Master, North Dunedin District School. Dunedin,

Having been requested to express my opinion of Miss Elizabeth Hay's talents, acquirements, and qualifications as a Teacher, I shall with much pleasure state the result of my observations and experience of her for the last nine years—the period during which she has discharged the duties of Matron in this School.

She is possessed of active, vigorous talents which have been cultivated with much assiduity and success Gifted with an accurate ear, and a fine taste, her reading is given with good expression, with correct pronunciation, and with considerable elocutionary grace. Endowed with the power to teach, and naturally affectionate but firm, she uniformly page 11 commands the respect, engages the attention, and awakens the interest of her pupils, while she illustrates the subject matter of their lesson with clearness, earnestness and energy. The average number under her charge has been 150, and also the entire charge of the Industrial department.

Miss hay's exemplary conduct, good judgment, prompt and cheerful performance of duty, and the warm interest she has always taken in all matters connected with this School, have laid strong and lasting claims on my gratitude and esteem, and I have therefore much pleasure in trying to promote her professional advancement.

I shall be happy to hear of Miss Hay's success in her present application, although her removal from this will be a great loss to our School.

Alexander Stewart,

Head Master.
From Rev D. M. Stuart, D.D., Minister Knox Church, Dunedin. Dunedin,

Having known Miss Hay for several years as a neighbour, and the Mistress of North Dunedin District School. I have confidence in bearing testimony to her personal worth and professional ability. She is a woman of staid and reliable character, without being dull or formal in the slightest degree; and therefore in my judgment, well qualified to direct and instruct children.

In the North District School she had charge of the youngest classes, that is, the classes most difficult to handle and instruct wisely; and I had frequent opportunities of seeing her handle her classes. I can see that she can secure attention with her eye, and a wonderful small expenditure of voice.

Miss Hay had also under her care the Industrial Department, which she managed most creditably. She received her professional training in one of the best Normal Schools in Scotland, and has high testimonials of ability and attainments.

Judging from her work here, I would without hesitation give her the direction of any of our Schools.

D. M. Stuart, D.D.

page 12
From Rev Archdeacon Edwards, St. Paul's Parsonage, Dunedin. Dear Miss Hay,

I have much pleasure in complying with your request that I should write a few lines on your behalf. I have known you for some years, and have a high opinion of your character and ability as a Teacher, I know you have been successful, and that children under your charge have become much attached to you. I shall be glad to hear that you have succeeded in obtaining the appointment for which you are a candidate.

With my best wishes, believe me, Dear Miss Hay,

Yours very truly,

E. G. Edwards, Archdeacon.

From Robert Stout, Esq., M.P.C., Dunedin. Dunedin,

I have known Miss E. K. Hay, the present Schoolmistress of the North Dunedin District School, for about nine years. When she joined the School I was Second Master, and during the time I held that Office—some twelve months I had almost daily opportunities of seeing Miss Hay's method and manner of tuition. Since then, I have as a Citizen and a Member of the School Committee, had further opportunities of verifying and testing the high opinion of her abilities, which 1 had formed. She is an excellent Teacher, a good organiser, and a favourite with her pupils. The Industrial Department, which was wholly under her charge, was not only well arranged, but the girls in my Class were always anxious to be allowed to attend Miss Hay's Industrial Class. Indeed, in this as in other work, Miss Hay so trained her pupils that they became interested in their School work. If any Teacher can only achieve this, in my opinion she has more than half succeeded in her work.

It is unnecessary for me to write of Miss Hay's Scholarship, her Certificates from the United Kingdom sufficiently establish it. I may, however, add that Miss Hay has, by constant study and reading, not only kept up the standard of her previous Scholarship, but would now pass a far more severe examination than that to which she was subjected when examined by Dr. Woodford.

While I should regret, for the sake of the School, her success in her present application, I should at the same time be pleased to see one so deserving of promotion at tanning the advancement she seeks.

Robert Stout.

First Division of the Second Degree of Merit was the highest possible position at the examination. The First Division was a classification by promotion, attainable only after five years teaching favourably reported of by Her Majesty's Inspector of Schools.