Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 31

Copies of Testimonials In Support of The Candidature of Millen Coughtrey

page break

Copies of Testimonials

Printed at "Evening Star" Office Dunedin Dunedin.

March, 1874.
page break
page break

To the Honourable the Chancellor of the University of Otago.

Dunedin, N. Z.,

Sir,

I beg respectfully to offer myself as a Candidate for the Chair of Anatomy and Physiology in your University, and I have the honour to submit for your consideration the following evidence of my fitness for the office to which 1 aspire:—

I am a Graduate with honours in Medicine and Surgery, of the University of Edinburgh, at which school I received my medical education.

Prior to and subsequent to graduation my attention has been devoted almost entirely to the study of Anatomy and Physiology.

I received a careful training in the various methods of pursuing anatomical research under the superintendence of the Professor of Anatomy in Edinburgh, for whom I did much work in Comparative and Human Anatomy, both in relation to Physiology and Pathology.

I have bad considerable experience in public and private teaching of the above subjects, both in Edinburgh University and in the Liverpool Schools of Medicine and Science.

Should I have the honour of being elected to the Professorship, it shall be my sole aim to forward the interests of the University and its Students to the best of my ability.

I have the honour to be, Your obedient servant,

Millen Coughtrey.

page 4
A.—The following is a list of the chief appointments I have held:—

Junior Demonstrator of Anatomy in the University of Edinburgh. Session 1871—72.

(On my resigning the above office, the Students presented me with a Testimonial, which I have at the present time in New Zealand.)

2.Demonstrator of Anatomy, and General Tutor to the Liverpool Royal Infirmary School of Medicine. Winter and Summer 1872—73.
3.Lecturer on Physiology. Liverpool School of Science.
4.Lecturer on Physiology, selected by the Museum and Library Committee of the Liverpool Town Council to deliver the Free Public Lectures on Physiology during Winter 1872—78.
B.—The following is a list of the chief papers I am author of:—
1.On the results of injuries to the Cervico-Dorsal portion of the Spinal Cord. Joint author with Dr. Gillespie, Consulting Surgeon to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, Late President, R.C.S., Edinburgh. Read before Medico-Chirurgical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh Medical Monthly journal for 1870.
2.Note on the means to be employed in preserving and injecting bodies, for Anatomical purposes. British Medical Journal, September 1872.
3.On the Pre-tracheal Pouch in the Emeu, and its homological relations. Published in Transactions of Literary and Philosophical Society of Liverpool. Winter 1872—73.
4.On the Heart of Dromaeus Novae-Hollandiae, with remarks on the Homological relations of the valves of the Pre-cavae. Published in the Trans. Lit. and Philos. Soc. Liverpool. Winter 1872—1873.
5.Archaeological paper:—
  • Part I. On the remains of a kitchen kjokken midden modding) at Hills. wick, Shetland.page 5
  • Part II. Memoir on long handled combs, (Latter founded chiefly on Anatomical data.) Published, Vol. IX. Proceedings of Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1871.
6.Functions of the Sympathetic System. Read before the Royal Medical Society, Session 1869—70.

C. Copies of Testimonials*

* These Testimonials were not collected for the present candidatures; but I sent home, by last mail, letters requesting special Testimonials as to my fitness for the Chair.

Testimonials.

From John Hutton Balfour, M.A., M.D., F.R.S. Load.; Dean of Medical Faculty; and Professor of Medicine and Botany, Edinburgh University; Secretary to Royal Society of Edinburgh. University of Edinburgh,

Dr. Millen Coughtrey was well known to me during his studies at this University, as an able and enthusiastic student. He devoted special attention to Anatomy, and he attained excellence in this department. His conduct was such as to command the respect and esteem of all the Professors. Since he left Edinburgh, he has been lecturing on Anatomy. T have much pleasure in certifying that he is an able medical man, and that he passed his examination in this University with honours.

J. H. Balfour.

From William Turner, M.B., Professor of Anatomy Edinburgh University; late Examiner in Anatomy, London University; and Joint Conductor of Journal of Anatomy and Physiology.

This is to certify that Mr. Millen Coughtrey, M.B. was a pupil of my class of Anatomy in the University o page 6 Edinburgh, and that he was an energetic, intelligent, and willing student, and an excellent draughtsman and modeller. After his graduation, he acted for one winter session as the Junior Demonstrator in my Practical Anatomy Rooms, and did his work so satisfactorily, that I recommended him for the office of Demonstrator to the Liverpool School of Medicine, which appointment he has held for one year. The authorities of that School will, I doubt not, certify to the manner in which he has performed the duties of that office.

W. Turner.

From John Hughes Benntt. Esq., M. D., F. R. S. Edin; Emeritius President Royal Medical Society; Senior Professor of Institutes of Medicine and Clinical Medicine, Edinburgh University. Author of "Text Book of Physiology, General, Special, and Practical," 1872; &c., &c. University of Edinburgh,

I have much pleasure in recommending Dr. Millen Coughtrey to a Medical School or University, as an intelligent and zealous student, who, since leaving this University, in 1872, has specially dedicated himself to the teaching of Anatomy.

J. Hughes Bennett.

From J. Bell Pettigrew, M.D. Edin., F.R.S. Load.; Pathologist to Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh; Curator of Museum and Lecturer On Physiology, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh; Croonian Lecturer Royal Society, London, 1860. Author of numerous Anatomical and Physiological Memoirs. 57, Queen-street, Edinburgh,

I have known Dr. M. Coughtery intimately for a considerable period, and have formed a very high opinion of him as an Anatomist and original thinker. Dr. Coughtrey does great credit to the University of Edinburgh, and I have no hesitation in saying, would make a most admirable Demonstrator of Anatomy for the Liverpool School of page 7 Medicine. Indeed, I would consider that institution most fortunate if it secured his services. Dr. Coughtrey is remarkably well-informed on a great variety of subjects. He writes and talks with fluency and precision. He has educated his hands as well as his head, and I have never known one of his years who could handle a scalpel or pencil to better purpose. Dr. Coughtrey is also a most admirable modeller, so that he combines a variety of accomplishments, all of which are necessary to a thorough-going scientific Anatomist. To the above Dr. Coughtrey adds much energy and decision of character. He is affable and painstaking, and whatever he undertakes is well done. I had proof of this when he officiated for use, during an illness, as Pathologist to the Royal Infirmary. On that occasion I had reason to be thoroughly well satisfied with all he did. It would be impossible, in my opinion, to find one in every respect better qualified; and I heartily wish him success, for his own sake, and that of the institution with which he seeks to identify himself.

J. Bell Pettigrew.

From Alexander R. Simpson, M.D., F.R.S. Edin.; Professor of Midwifery and Diseases of Women and Children, Edinburgh University; Vice-President Obstetrical Society of Edinburgh. 52, Queen-street, Edinburgh,

Mr. Coughtrey is possessed of natural abilities of a high order. He is animated by an enthusiastic delight in Anatomical pursuits, and has obtained an acquaintance not only with Human Anatomy, but with Comparative Anatomy, and, I should add, with Pathological Anatomy, which abundantly qualifies him to be a teacher of the subject. He has had the best possible opportunity of acquiring the art of imparting instruction in the dissecting rooms of the Edinburgh University; and front my knowledge of some of his students, I can testify to his being a successful and acceptable Demonstrator. Altogether, I think the Liverpool School of Medicine will be fortunate in securing the services of such a man.

Alex. R. Simpson.

page 8
From William R. Sanders, M.D., F.R.S.; Edin.; Professor of Pathology and Clinical Medicine, Edinburgh University; Physician to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. 11, Walker-street, Edinburgh,

I beg to state the very high opinion I entertain of the abilities and acquirements of Mr. Millen Coughtrey, M.B. Mr. Coughtrey has devoted himself specially to Anatomical pursuits, for which his natural tastes and his artistic gifts give him special advantages. The earliest flees and energy of character which Mr. Coughtrey brings to bear upon his work, his experience in teaching, and his knowledge of Anatomical Science, appear to me to qualify him specially for the post of Demonstrator of Anatomy.

William R. Sanders.

From Henry D. Littlejohn, M.D., F.R.C.S. Examiner Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, and St. Andrew's University; lecturer on Medical Jurisprudence, Surgeon's Hall; and Medical Officer of Health for Edinburgh. Police Chambers, Edinburgh,

Dr. Millen Coughtrey was one Of our most distinguished graduates. He devoted himself specially to the study of Anatomy, and showed a rare facility in its tuition. Indeed, my only regret in Dr. Coughtrey leaving this country is, that our Medical Schools are thus deprived of the services of one who is destined, I believe, to take a high place among our lecturers. Dr. Coughtrey's diameter is that of a gentleman, and lie carries with him the best wishes of all who knew him.

Henry H. Littlejohn,

From James Spence. F.R.S.E: Surgeon in Ordinary to Her Majesty the Queen in Scotland; Professor of Surgery, Edinburgh University; and Senior Surgeon Edinburgh Royal is Infirmary. 21A, Ainslie Place, Edinburgh,

Mr. Millen Coughtrey, M.B. and C.M., Ed., was well known to me during the whole of his University career, page 9 and I had occasion to notice his close attention so cases in Hospital at visit; and subsequently the same zeal displayed itself in other departments of study. For some time back Mr. Coughtrey especially devoted himself to Anatomy, and acted as one of the Demonstrators and Prosecutors in the Anatomical department of the University with great zeal in his work. I consider Mr. Coughtrey exceedingly well fitted for teaching Anatomy, as he has not only paid great attention to that subject, but, moreover, possesses artistic powers and a facility in modelling and drawing diagrams which would be of great use to him in illustrating the subject to students.

James Spence.

From J. Campbell Brown, D. Sc. Lond.; Public Analyst for the Borough of Liverpool, and Lecturer on Chemistry and Toxicology. Liverpool Royal Infirmary School of Medicine,

I have much pleasure in stating, that I have known Dr. Millen Coughtrey during the past year, and having had occasion to see him frequently during the performance of his ditties, I can with confidence say that he has shown himself to be an excellent teacher of Anatomy, and an enthusiastic Comparative Anatomist. I hope that he will have an opportunity of doing good service to science in his favourite

J. Campbell Brown.

From Claud Muirhead, M.D., Edin.; Physician to Royal Infirmary, Lecturer on Practice of Medicine, Extra-Mural School, Edinburgh. Edinburgh,

It is with sincere pleasure that I offer my testimony, in addition to that of others more competent to speak, to the pre-eminent ability of Mr. Coughtrey to fill the post of Demonstrator of Anatomy, in the Liverpool School of Medicine. I consider Mr. Coughtrey an accomplished Anatomist, and a man who will reflect credit on any School with which he may become connected. In wishing Mr. page 10 Coughtrey the success which he desires by obtaining this appointment, I feel very sure that the Liverpool School of Medicine will be equally the gainer with Mr. Coughtrey, should they resolve to attach to the School so able an Anatomist.

Claud Muirhead.

From Joseph Bell, M.D., F.R.C.S., Edin; Lecturer on Surgery, Extra-mural School, and Surgeon to Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh; formerly Demonstrator of Anatomy, Edinburgh University. 20, Melville Street, Edinburgh,

It is hardly possible to express in high enough terms the opinion I have been led to form of the Anatomical knowledge and teaching power possessed by Mr. Millen Cougetrey. He is a most zealous, hardworking, and earnest Student of Anatomy and its cognate sciences, and has proved by his papers, and still more by his actual success in teaching, that he has great power in communicating information. Any School of Medicine will be fortunate in securing such a man for Demonstrator.

Joseph Bell.

From R. J. Blair Cunynghame, M.D., F.R.S.E.; Assistant to the Professor of Pathology is the University of Edinburgh. 6, Walker Street, Edinburgh,

I have great pleasure in testifying as to the ability and various qualifications of my friend Mr. Millen Coughtrey. While a student attending the University of tins city I had frequent opportunities of coming into close contact with him, and of judging of his powers, which are of a high standard. He was a most diligent and distinguished student, and paid particular attention to the studies of Anatomy and Zoology, so much so that the Professor of Anatomy paid him the high honour of electing him to the office of Demonstrator in the University, where as a teacher he gave great satisfaction to the numerous students studying under him. He, has already done good page 11 work, and written some excellent and original papers on these and collateral subjects. As regards his conduct, simply say he is a gentleman, and has always conducted himself as such. Any University, or like body, numbering Dr. Coughtrey as one of its staff would, I am sure, gain to no small degree. I should add that his powers as a draughtsman are of a high order.

R. J. Blair Cunynghame.

From John Wyllie. M.D.,F.R.C.S.E.; Lecturer on General Pathology to the School of Medicine, Surgeons' Hall, Edinburgh. Edinburgh, 9, Howe Street,

I became acquainted with Dr. Mitlen Coughtrey some years age when he was Assistant in the Pathological Department of the Royal Infirmary, and I subsequently saw much of bins when he was one of the Demonstrators of Anatomy under Professor Turner. He impressed me as a man of much ability, who had a great enthusiasm for the subjects to which he specially devoted himself. He is a good Anatomist and Pathologist. He is also an excellent draughtsman, and he showed himself to be very obliging by the kind way in which he on many occasions placed this talent at the service of his friends. Ire has had much experience in teaching, having been Demonstrator of Anatomy for a considerable time both in Edinburgh, and subsequently in Liverpool. I believe from his training and natural ability that he would be a valuable teacher in a School of Medicine. I have no doubt also, from his distinguished career as a student, that he would prove himself an excellent practitioner, should he choose to devote himself to medical practice rather than to science. I wish him every success in the new sphere to which he is about to betake himself.

John Wyllie.

From William Walker, F.R.C.S. Edin.; President Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh; Surgeon Oculist in Ordinary to Her Majesty for Scotland. Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh,

I have known Dr. Millen Coughtrey for several years, page 12 and have formed a high opinion of his talents and professional acquirements. Dr. Coughtrey possesses a thorough knowledge of Medicine and Surgery, having been a most diligent and attentive student, and he has availed himself of every opportunity of gaining professional information. He has latterly been devoting himself more particularly to the study of Anatomical and Physiological Science, and also to the teaching of those subjects, and this with very great acceptance. I am quite confident that he will prove a most efficient teacher, and I know no one who will be more zealous in the discharge of his duties. I have very great pleasure in recommending Dr. Coughtrey, as a most fit and proper person to undertake the office of Demonstrator of Anatomy in the Liverpool School of Medicine.

Wm. Walker.

From Argyll D. Robertson, F.R.C.S., F.R.S., Edin.; Ophthalmic Surgeon to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary; Examiner Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh; Late Lecturer on Practical Physiology in the University of Edinburgh. Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh,

Mr. Millen Coughtrey has been known to me for several years as a diligent and enthusiastic Student of Medicine. He has always shown a particular leaning towards Anatomical and Pathological studies, and was, understand, an able and most painstaking assistant to Professor Turner in some of his recent investigations regarding the Anatomy of the Cetaceae. Mr. Coughtrey's anatomical knowledge is extensive and accurate, and he possesses, T believes, considerable powers of original observation and research. For six months Mr. Coughtrey acted as Clerk to the Ophthalmic Wards of the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, and discharged the duties of the office most efficiently, displaying great interest in the study of Ophthalmology. I found him at all times most willing to oblige, and to employ his skill as draughtsman for the more accurate recording of rare or interesting Cases. In my opinion Mr. Coughtrey will, if appointed, prove a very efficient Demonstrator of Anatomy to the Liverpool Royal Infirmary School of Medicine.

D. Argyll Robertson.

page 13
From Thos. Annandale, M.D., F.R.C.S, Edin.; formerly Demonstrator of Anatomy, Edinburgh University; Lecturer on Clinical Surgery and Examiner Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. 34, Charlotte-square, Edinburgh,

Dr. Coughtrey has been well known to me for several years, as a most diligent student, sound practitioner, and successful teacher. He has devoted special attention to the study of Anatomy, and has already proved himself all excellent practical teacher of this subject in the dissecting room of the University. Dr. Coughtrey's qualifications will, I feel sure, make him an acquisition to any School of Medicine.

Thomas Annandale.

From Robert Brown, F.L.S., F.R.G.S. Lond.; President Royal Physical Society; lecturer on Botany and Zoology, School of Arts, Edinburgh. Edinburgh,

Dear Coughtrey,—You ask my opinion of your qualifications as an Anatomist and as a teacher. To any of us in Edinburgh here—I speak but the universal opinion of any one capable of forming an opinion—you would require no testimonial you are too well and, too favourably known as one of the most accomplished of the rising school of scientific teachers. For my own part, I am quite sorry that England is likely to lose you, for your success here was simply a question of time. I know no one better qualified for the duties of a teacher of Anatomy than yourself. You have my every good wish, you may be sure, and if ever, either directly or indirectly, I can in any way advance your views, you have only to command me.

—Yours ever faithfully,

Robert Brown.

From John Boyd, M.D., President of the Scottish Midland and Western Medical Association. Gowanlee, Slamannan,

I have much pleasure in testifying to the pre-eminent abilities and attainments of Millen Coughtrey, Esq., page 14 who has been known to use for some years past, and from whose scientific enthusiasm and general mental vigour I anticipate an elevated career as a cultivator and teacher of Anatomy and Physiology. Of his disposition and moral tendencies, as well as his intellectual endowments, I have every reason to form the highest opinion; and if time and health be allotted to him, look forward to his achieving a very high position in his special department.

John Boyd.

From T. Grainger Stewart, M.D., Edin., Physician to Royal Infirmary, Lecturer on Practice of Physic and Clinical Medicine, Edinburgh. 19, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh,

I hereby certify, that Dr. Coughtrey was well known to me during Ins student days in Edinburgh, and that I entertain the highest respect for his acuteness in observation and judgment, as well as for his assiduity and perseverance. He is a man who, with such qualities, is sure to do good work; who has, indeed, already done work which deserves high esteem.

T. Grainger Stewart.

From John Smith, M.D., F.R.S. Edin.; Surgeon Dentist to the Queen in Scotland; Remixes for the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. 11, Wemyss-place, Edinburgh,

Dear Mr. Coughtrey,—It gives me great pleasure to afford any testimony to your ability and acquirements as a medical man. I have no doubt that, from those under whom you held the responsible and important situations in various capacities connected with the School of Medicine in Edinburgh, yon will command abundant testimony of your qualifications. But if I may add to these, I should say that, in the teaching of Anatomy, as well as in the more everyday work of general practice, I should be much disappointed were you not ultimately to take a high position. Wishing you every success, I tune, yours very truly,

J. Smith.

page 15
Letter from Lecturers of Liverpool Royal Infirmary School of Medicine. Liverpool Royal Infirmary School of Medicine,

My Dear Sir,—Your letter resigning the office of Demonstrator of Anatomy was read at the Lecturers' meeting last evening. In accepting your resignation, I am desired to express the regret felt by the Lecturers at your inability* to continue a work which you have hitherto performed with so much satisfaction to all concerned. With best wishes for your future success, believe me.

Very truly yours,

Reginald Harrison,

Registrar.

Dr. M. Coughtrey.

* I left Liverpool on account of my health, and I came to New Zealand partly for the voyage, and partly to prosecute zoological dredging, also with a contingent prospect of settling in the colony.

decorative feature

decorative feature