The Pamphlet Collection of Sir Robert Stout: Volume 29
Otago Local Revenues Ordinance 1872
Otago Local Revenues Ordinance 1872.
An Ordinance for granting to the Municipal and Counties Corporations within the Province of Otago Provincial License and Registration Fees as part of their Ordinary Revenue.
[Reserved for the Signification of the Governor'S Pleasure Thereon, 31St May, 1872.]
Whereas it is expedient that the moneys received for licenses and registration fees under the provisions of the several Ordinances specified in the annexed Schedule should form part of the ordinary revenue of the body corporate of the several boroughs and counties in which the persons paying the same reside or carry on business:
Be it Therefore Enacted by the Superintendent of the Province of Otago with the advice and consent of the Provincial Council thereof as follows:—
1. This Ordinance may be cited and referred to as the "Otago Local Revenues Ordinance 1872."
License and Registration Fees payable to collector of boroughs and Counties.
2. From and after the date of the coming into operation of this Ordinance the fees and dues payable for licenses or registration under the provisions of the several Ordinances specified in the annexed Schedule by any person or persons residing or carrying on business within the limits of any municipality or county by law established and incorporated within the Province of Otago shall be payable to the Collector of the Corporation in which such person or persons reside or carry on business and the same shall form part of the ordinary revenue of such Corporation.
Collectors to sign and issue Licenses.
3. The Collector of every Corporation within the said Province is hereby empowered to sign and issue on payment of the stated fees all such licenses and certificates of registration under the provisions of the several page 2 Ordinances specified in the annexed Schedule to persons residing or carrying on business within the boundaries of the Corporation of which he is the Collector instead of the Provincial Treasurer and the fees for such licenses and registration certificates shall form part of the ordinary revenue of such Corporation and shall no longer form part of the ordinary revenue of the Province of Otago: Provided always that the dues and fees payable from all such licenses and registration certificates by persons not residing within the limits of any Corporation shall be payable to the Provincial Treasurer and form part of the ordinary revenue of the said Province as heretofore.
Corporations to maintain main roads.
4. From and after the passing of this Ordinance after the formation of any main road within the boundaries of any incorporated borough or county has been completed the management and maintenance thereof shall be undertaken by such Corporation and the costs and expenses connected therewith shall be a charge against the ordinary revenue of the Corporation.
5. The word "Corporation" in this Ordinance shall be taken to mean and include every municipality or borough and county within the Province of Otago established under the "Otago Municipal Corporations Ordinance 1865" or the "Counties Ordinance 1872" or any other Ordinance of the Provincial Council of Otago or any Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand.
Words "Provincial Treasurer" to include Collectors.
6. The words "Provincial Treasurer" in any of the Ordinances specified in the annexed Schedule shall be held to mean and include the Collector of any Corporation within which any license or registration certificate required under the provisions contained in the said Ordinances or any of them shall be signed and issued.
|Title of Ordinance.||Date and Number.||Year.|
|Licensed Auctioneers'Ordinance 1862||26° Vict., No. 99||1862|
|Licensing Ordinance 1865||29° Vict., No. 207||1865|
|Dog Nuisance Ordinance 1862||26° Vict., No. 85||1862|
|Licensed Carriages Ordinances 1862||26° Vict., No. 102||1862|
|The Licensed Hawkers' Ordinance 1864||28° Viet., No. 170||1864|
|Goat Nuisance Ordinance 1868||31° Vict., No. 273||1868|
|Licensed Theatres Ordinance 1862||26° Vict., No. 108||1862|
|Licensed Theatres Ordinance 1870||33° Vict., No. 310||1870|
Printed under the Authority of the Provincial Government of Otago, by Mills, Dick &Co., Stafford street, Printers to the said Provincial Government for the time being.