Salient. Victoria University of Wellington Students' Newspaper. Volume 32, No. 18. July 30, 1969
A New Kind Of President
Fourth year law student.
Returning Officer, April 1968.
Records Controller, Winter Tournament 1968.
Hon. Secretary, VUWSA, 1969.
Student rep.: Joint Committee,
Student Union Management Committee.
Committee on University Entrance, Bursaries and Entrance Scholarships.
Enrolment Procedures Committee.
Furnishings Sub-committee and others.
We need a new kind of president for VUWSA. The establishment of the Student Representative Council, with its wide policy-making powers, should, and will, make the executive just what its name suggests, an administrative body. The president will, therefore, need to be:—
1. An efficient and experienced administrator.
2. An impartial chairman—for Exec., SRC, and Management Committee.
3. A person who can put the views of the students clearly to other bodies within the University and to the news media.
4. A person who is prepared to commit a great deal of time and effort to the office.
5. A person willing and able to see all sides of a problem and to present them with clarity and care for student decision.
I will fulfil these requirements to the best of my ability. In particular I will work for a student union building with the facilities and furnishings wanted by students, and for a more realistic system of student representation. We must build for the future—a second Student Union Building—a closer liaison between student representatives. We need a new outlook, a new kind of president.