Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient: Victoria University of Wellington Students' Newspaper. Vol. 32, No. 7. 1969.

Rowers Second

Rowers Second

The first four rowing events were held on Lyttelton Harbour till adverse weather forced the remaining events to be moved to Kerrs Reach.

Victoria did not perform as well as expected and finished second to the strong Canterbury team, with platings only in the eights and single sculls.

The main race, the eights, saw Victoria just beaten at the end by a strong and determined Canterbury crew.

Victoria, comprised of John Kay (stroke), Des Lock, Olly Gilbert, Tim Castle, Bill Sharp, Chris Gamble, Harleigh Gamble and Doug Adams, led for almost the whole distance on the two-mile course.

Canterbury made its challenge only in the final 150 metres and with both crews well clear of the rest of the field, came from behind to win by three-quarters of a length.

The Victoria crew was a credit to its coach Dick Joyce and must be congratulated for providing such stiff opposition to Canterbury which was rowing on its home course and whose overall strength allowed it to win five out of the six rowing events.

Gilbert gained a third place in the single sculls which was a commendable effort considering the experience of the other competitors.

The twelve crews in the college fours provided stern competition for the two Victoria entries.

The No. 1 crew of Clive Bough, Ross Clendon, Scott Gibbons and Ray Allot, coached by Olympic oarsman John Hunter, rowed a good steady race to finish fourth to two Canterbury crews and a Lincoln crew.

This was a creditable performance for a relatively inexperienced crew, all of whom were freshers.

The No. 2 crew of George Maclean, Geoff Fellowes, Angus Brads haw and John Welch finished a close fifth after leading for the first 600 metres.

It showed a good style and had its pre-tournament training not been hampered by other activities, may have won the race.

After the water chopped up at Governors Bay, the remaining events were transferred to Kerrs Reach.

This meant that heats had to be rowed and it was unfortunate that both Victoria novice crews had to row in the same heat.

The No. 1 crew of Andy Davies, Dave Bos well, Mike Fay and Peter Stevens led for most of the race but was beaten narrowly by a strong Massey crew.

The No. 2 crew of Graham Langridge, Graham Drury, Keith Johnson and Eion Castles finished third.

The Victoria lightweight four of Jack Swan, Rich Lake, John Orton and Nev Goldie rowed well to finish second to an experienced Canterbury crew.

No points were awarded for this race.