Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 15, No. 9. June 5, 1952

VIC Thrashes A.U.C

VIC Thrashes A.U.C.

It was a big disappointment to the Auckland Rugby public, that the day of the match between the first Fifteens of Auckland and Victoria University Colleges, should be such a bad day for the type of bright constructive football that is to be expected in such a match. In spite of the weather however a fairly large crowd were at Eden Park on Wednesday and they were all impressed with the type of football played by the Vic side.

Displaying much greater soundness in all departments of the game V.U.C. ran out the winners by 25 points to 9. The strength and experience of the green forwards together with the much improved protection afforded to the half-back J. I. Parker, enabled the backs to get plenty of the ball and with a minimum of interference from the opposing breakaways. (Among the for wards Ivan Stuart, John Fisher and Jack Smith were usually prominent.) The V.U.C. backs also adapted themselves to the conditions remarkably well and their handling was excellent under the circumstances. Chief credit for the good showing of the backs must go to A, J. Henley who, playing at 1st five-eighths as a replacement for L. B. Jarden in the second spell achieved a good combination with Parker and standing deeper was able to take the ball in more favourable positions than Jarden had been able to do. Brian Fitzpatrick also played very soundly giving the backline plenty of thrust. Ron Jarden as usual had a good day scoring two tries and kicking two penalty goals. Peter Osborne gave a very sound display at full back, considering the slippery ball.

Before the game began heavy showers of rain made the ground very slippery and heavy. However during the first spell it cleared sufficiently for the backs of both sides to bring off several penetrating movements. Jarden as well as kicking two penalties in this spell scored an excellent opportunist try by following up fast after kicking the ball through. In the second spell the Auckland University forwards gained much ground with very sound loose dribbling movements In which Sam Kurtovich and R. Walls were often prominent. However the V.U.C. pack was much tighter in the rucks and as a result were giving the backs a lot of ball. The first try in the spell was scored by B. Penman of Auckland after All Black five-eight John Tanner had just failed to reach the line after a strong run. Soon after the green forwards replied when from a line-out on the Auckland line, Alec Eastwood dived over for a try. Arthur Henley then made a strong run for the Auckland goal and Fitzpatrick scored wide out. John Parker was the next to score, when from a scrum he scuttled round on the blind side without a hand being laid on him. The next points came from a movement which was probably the highlight of the match. Henley after a very clean break on hid own 23 line ran strongly through to the full back where ho sent the ball on to Jarden who had come inside him and after that it won only a matter of Ron putting the ball down beneath the posts. These last two tries were converted by Jim Fitzgerald. Considering the fact that most of the last part of the second spell was played in hard driving rain this burst of scoring was very creditable indeed. The forwards showed good control of the ball in sending it back to the half-back from scrums and rucks only at the correct moment. It was perhaps this more than any other factor that enabled the attacks to develop without being stilled at the start.

After the match the team were the guests of the A.U.C. Club at a very enjoyable function. It was so enjoyable in fact that there were many last minute scrambles to get aboard the train at 7 o'clock and one rather prominent member of the team was last seen sitting rather hilariously on several cartons of beer watching the express with all the rest of the team aboard, as it slowly steamed from the station.