Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 4, No. 5. June 6, 1941



Though holidays and Extrav. reduced the numbers turning out to runs, the Harrier Club has had several reasonably good musters. The fast pack had a real work-out at Johnsonville on May 3rd, running over into the Ohariu Valley and back round the Makara road, D. Scrymgeour and G. Rowberry being prominent over the last three miles. On May 17th the Club was entertained at Hataitai by the Brooklyn Club, and the eight-mile trail round the hills to Lyall Bay and back over part of the Vosseler Shield course proved tough, F. O'Flynn and P. Anderson showing up well for 'Varsity.

In the Novice Cup on May 24th, the leaders set a slow pace up the hill and along Seatoun Heights, but G. Rowberry cracked on the pace along the flat to win in 16m. 7s. from P. B. de la Mare and R. Fenton. The Veterans were determined to show how it should be done, and both R. M. Daniell (14.50) and F. D. O'Flynn (15.4) beat the time for the Novice Race.

In general the fast pack shows good promise, G. Rowberry being unbeatable along the flat, while F. O'FIynn, T. Dorman and P. Anderson are all running consistently well. Little outstanding form has been shown in the slow pack, though R. Daniell and R. Fenton ran well over the Novice course. E. Marchant was not outclassed in the fast pack in the run from Thorndon on May 31st.

A change has been made in the Club's syllabus. Next week, on May 7th, the Sherwood Cup will be run at Paekakariki. Runners will meet at the Wellington Station at 1 p.m. This is a sealed handicap and an invitation run—Sherry's hospitality is renowned. The following week a team will be sent to Dannevirke to compete in the Anderson Rally. The racing season is now starting. The earnest, and runners with ambition should get down to some solid training.

page 4

Someone was moaning on the way to Auckland about the way "those grounds up there become so slippery and cut up—the only saving grace is the even surface."

Well, we did see one even ground—in fact, we had the privilege of playing on it once, but I doubt if any of us appreciated it, that day (the first afternoon). And as to the soft ground—I seem to remember chaps' feet with great pieces of tape plastered over monstrous blisters.

In some ways the tournament tale is a sad tale to tell. We met Auckland on the first afternoon—we make no excuses—they were a fine team, and well deserved to win, ultimately, the tournament trophy (Seddon Stick). Against them we were down 2—0 at half-time, but after that the lack of sleep and general weariness against a fast, fresh combination told, and we went down 8—0.

Against Auckland "B" next morning we rallied somewhat and came in to win 2—0. Actually this team was no mean combination, as they had accounted for Massey on the previous afternoon.

In the afternoon (Thursday), Otago's forward line, though good, had a lot of luck, and the final score of 6—0 (Otago's favour) was a little flattering to them. On Friday Wellington redeemed their self-esteem and reputation by drawing with Massey 4—4, and with Canterbury 2—2. In both games the team played their best hockey, and against Massey in the morning we were robbed of actual victory only by a temporary lapse in the second half, in which Massey rang on three quick goals. Wellington can feel a little satisfaction in drawing against Canterbury, as that team played good hockey throughout the tournament.

Most of Victoria's men were playing in a 'Varsity tournament for the first time, and indeed some had not played in the Senior team before. These facts undoubtedly made it hard for them to settle down.

The New Zealand team did not contain any Victoria names—though K. Kiddle and Harry Scott were emergencies. Kiddle was lucky and played in part of the second half. Auckland beat the N.Z. team 5—3.