Other formats

    Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Salient. An Organ of Student Opinion at Victoria College, Wellington, N.Z. Vol. 1, No. 18 August 3, 1938


page 4


Win for Victoria

The annual match against Canterbury College resulted in a win for Victoria by 27 points to 6. In spite of rain and the heavy ground, play was very bright and open, both sets of backs throwing the ball around and handling well. Except for a period at the beginning of the second spell, the Victoria forwards were in the ascendancy and secured by far the greater share of the ball in set scrums and line-outs. Altogether, the Victoria team played one of its best games of the season.

McNicol, Thomas and Hansen were again a very efficient front row, and also played with plenty of dash in the loose and the rucks. Meads was one of the hardest toilers on the ground and played a very fine game, especially in the tight work and the line-out. Russell also shone in the line-outs, and was very lively in the loose; he goes better in each game.

The backs turned on bright passing movements and all handled well. Larkin, at half, had a feast of the ball from the forwards and gave good service to the backs. From a scrum near the line, he slipped over for a nice try. Wild and Bryers used their speed to give the attack thrust and made the openings for many of the movements. Bryers was again very solid on defence. The three-quarters, Eastwood, Tricklebank and O'Regan, were fast and ran strongly. Eastwood's two tries were fine efforts. The first resulted from a blind side dash by Wild, and the second came at the end of a chain passing movement. Tricklebank slipping through at centre and handing on to Eastwood, who ran over at the corner just as he was tackled. O'Regan did not see as much ball as Eastwood, but gave everything a go, and scored one try by picking up neatly after the forwards had dribbled the ball to the line. Buddle, in a new role as full-back, was very sound in his handling and kicking.

Local Rugby

On Saturday, against Athletic, the Seniors did not play as consistently good football as against Canterbury College last Wednesday. They started off quite brightly and ran up a lead of 13 points, then slipped badly and allowed Athletic to equalise. Two converted tries towards the end of the game gave 'Varsity a win 23-13. but it was a patchy performance.

The forwards were rather sluggish and, in the scrums, failed to break even for possession of the ball. Hansen played a very good game and was the best of the forwards. Russell was conspicuous in the loose rushes, and Eade's game was an improvement on his recent performances.

The backs were not impressive in combined movements, but made occasional bright bursts individually. Eastwood was right on form and made some good runs down the line. Wild made a brilliant cut-in early in the game, but thereafter appeared to run into a trap prepared by Athletic, and was caught in possession. However, he made several good dashes round the blind side in conjunction with Eastwood. Tricklebank also made several good runs. Kissel apart from one lapse—a tackle missed under the posts—played a good game. He kicked very well, converting four of the five tries scored.

Junior B.

Mention should be made of the first win to go to the credit of the Junior B (Social) team. On Saturday they defeated Poneke 13-0, their previous best being two drawn games. Sheehan, half-back, scored a fine try with a tricky run from a scrum on the 25 yards line. Wills, who hooked well, scored from a line-out, and R. Jeffs ran over to score from a combined movement among the backs. J. Jeffs converted two of the tries. Tossman wept well in the forwards, particularly in the loose.

Table Tennis

A Table Tennis Championship Tournament is now in progress. There are five events consisting of Ladies' Singles and Doubles. Men's Singles and Doubles, and Combined Doubles. Good entries have been received for all events, and the games are being keenly contested.

A Table Tennis Ladder will be started immediately, and the committee hope that this will give them some idea of the respective merits of the players.

A match against Training College has been arranged, and will be played early in the Third Term, two or three teams from each College competing.

The V.U.C. players are very keen, and both tables are in use every night during the week, and quite often in the week-ends.


N.Z, v. Wellington

The Victoria College patrons of the game at the Town Hall on Saturday between the New Zealand basketball team for Australia and the Wellington Representative team saw the unexpected occur. Outplaying the All Blacks in every department of the game, the local lasses trounced them to the tune of 22 to 13. For no more than Five minutes did Wellington lose complete command of the game. Especially in the forward third did they give an exhibition of speed and combination that augurs well for the Timaru Tournament this month.

Leading 3-2 after five minutes the Blacks seemed to be superior, as would naturally be expected. The N.Z.U. Blue, Meg Matangi, who captains the New Zealand team, appeared to have the edge on Wellington. But then a change came about. Wellington rapidly ran to a 10-3 lead! Our own Janet Grainger, captain of Wellington, showed up to great advantage and the other V.U.C. player. Marie Walker, was doing her share in keeping the New Zealand forwards away from the goal. A change of position of two girls somewhat strengthened New Zealand, and the spell finished 11-7.

The second spell was a repetition of the first except that Wellington increased its lead by five more goals.

Defence Plus Speed.

The whole same was a lesson in the essential factors of good Basketball. Based on sound defence and having greater speed, the Wellington girls had to win. Fancy touches such as jumping spectacularly after receiving the ball and odd flashes of brilliant individual efforts can never make a team really successful. The basic ability to stick to the girl in defence was illustrated by Wellington, whereas the occasional speedy intercept was more typical of New Zealand. Again, the local team was faster through the centres and between thirds. There wns some holdup, on one wing of the Wellington forwards that made us wonder if Erice Overton would not be an old, but only further trials and the hard games in Timaru will determine the final best nine.

Certainly the New Zealand team will have to get more practice together and concentrate on becoming a well-knit unit rather than a collection of very brilliant girls. In the forward third they have shooting ability, but lack real combination. This will come, and we confidently hope that they will meet with considerable success in the Australian Tournament. The team leaves on Thursday. Kia Ora!

V.U.C. v. W.E.O.G.

On Saturday next those interested in seeing first-class basketball will have an opportunity when Victoria meets Wellington East Old Girls at Mount Cook School. In the first round the Greens went down 27-23 in a spectacular game. They are expected to turn the tables this week. "Salient" will be there hoping so, anyway. The Greens are practising against the New Zealand team this week and may benefit considerably. Good luck. Victoria!

(Per N.Z.U. Press Bureau.)

At the annual meeting of the New Zealand Universities' Hockey Council. Mr. A. W. Sutherland (Otago) occupied the chair.

The report and balance-sheet were adopted without discussion.

After a discussion on the question of the position arising when two teams were level at the conclusion of a tournament, it was decided that, in such an event, the teams concerned should play off. If a draw resulted no extra time should be played, but the colleges should hold the trophy for six months each.

Appreciation was expressed at the success attending Otago's efforts to arrange a match between the Universities' team and the touring Indian team.

It was decided that the Otago B team should be allowed to compete officially in the tournament, but without creating a precedent in this connection.

Second Hockey Test

Interesting but not Spectacular

The New Zealand team showed greatly improved form on their showing in Christchurch; in fact, one of the Indians did not recognise Hart the goal-keeper as the same man he had played against in Christchurch the week before. The same applied to the remainder of the team, who showed that they had overcome their nervousness of the First Test.

In neither side were there any particularly outstanding players, all working together with no playing to the gallery. The New Zealand side used the push stroke to advantage, but unfortunately, that great weakness of New Zealand hockey—hitting the ball to one of the opponents instead of taking more care with placing their passes. This, indeed, was the great fault of the team; their stick work, positional play (especially in the second spell), and combination were good, although not up to the visitors' standard. The Indian forwards do not wait for the ball to come to them from their backs, but move about until they are opposite an opening in the opposing defence through which they can see their own players.

Penalties Numerous.

As far as penalties were concerned, these were numerous, in equal proportion on both sides, but with a somewhat greasy ground breaches are always likely. It was noticeable that even the Indians are capable of occasional mild body-play and are inclined to give any breach when pressed in the circle in order to prevent a score, by having a penalty corner given against them. A penalty bully was given in each spell against the New Zealand team. Hart winning his and Clark losing, thus making the score 4-0.

On the New Zealand side, the two University players, Botting (Otago) and "Scotty" Watson (Auckland) acquitted themselves with distinction. Of the others, Hart, as goal-keeper, was brilliant, as the goals he let through were very difficult shots, but it is doubtful if he is any better than Les Hercus, the Otago University goalie, who gave such a fine display against the Indians a week or two ago. The two full-backs. Jones and Clark, played well, keeping contact with their halves and not, as with the backs on the occasion of the Wellington debacle, keeping to the edge of the circle all the time. Loder, at centre-half, was outstanding, while W. Bowden, at right-half, by heady tackling, kept Fernandez and Sultan Khan from becoming brilliant. There were no shining lights in the forwards and the forward line was the weakest part of the team. The local forward, Maurie Browne, was a great worker. But, as with the others, too often did his passes go on to one of the opposition's pads.

The Indians.

For the Indians, the centre-forward and inside-right were most dangerous. With Feroz Khan a non-starter through injuries and Sultan Khan nursing an injured leg, they were not so brilliant as when in Wellington before or against the Universities' side in Dunedin.

Shahoor Khan, at centre-half, together with the full-backs. Hussain and Guranain Singh, were the mainstays of the defence. Unfortunately, towards the end of the game Hussain slipped and sprained his ankle badly, which means that the team now has three of its stars partly disabled through injuries.

It is the definite opinion of those in a position to judge that this Indian team is definitely superior as a team to the 1935 one. Lacking a Ruph Singh, a Dyan Chand and a Mahsoud, the team becomes a team of eleven men which always requires watching, and not three or four. Unless the side has particularly bad luck it is most unlikely that they will be beaten in New Zealand, and the fact that only eight goals have been scored against them gives an indication of their quality.

From the "Auckland Weekly News":—"There is a Second Division wing-three-quarter in Wellington who would probably develop into something really good if given a chance in representative company. He is H. J. Eastwood, of Victoria College. He has pace to burn—a crack, track runner, he is probably the fastest three-quarter in New Zealand to-day—a good swerve, and perhaps what is more important, he gives everything a go. There is no hesitation about Eastwood. He smashes through attempted tackles. But he has one dangerous habit. He frequently hurdles opponents, and, if he persists, he is only asking for trouble."


The Senior B1 team have been unfortunate in being unable to keep its members together week by week, chiefly through sickness and the fact that the Senior A draws on it when necessary. This was particularly the case on Saturday last, when we found we were four short; luckily we were able to draw on the Thirds for three players, but the team-work suffered as a consequence. Two members who had advised that they would be available failed to appear, with the result that three of the Thirds played a second game. They did well, particularly O'Donnell and Bowyer.

Allan, in goal, returned after sickness, was unreliable, but made some good saves. MacMurray was a tower or strength at left full-back, particularly in the second spell. Dale played well in patches, but should vary his play more. The left-half played a sound game, but generally the half line lacked strength and often failed to keep contact with the forwards. Long and Bryan played well, although up against superior players. Both are keen and are conspicuous in fast following up. With more accuracy Bryan would have scored on several occasions. Topp played a much improved game, but must further improve his positional play.

The score 10-0 against us was a fair indication of the run of play. Wellington were sound on defence and attack, although in the second spell 'Varsity looked like scoring on several occasions, but the movements always seemed to break down in the circle. The ground was heavy and badly cut up. This made accurate hitting difficult and flick shots almost impossible.

'Varsity lacked cohesion and understanding and will continue to do so if it falls to keep its team together. Members of Senior Bl, take this to heart!


In sport, what ball travels the fastest? Probably a golf ball, when driven from the tee. 'Americans have timed tennis balls in matches to travel up to 131 miles per hour. Very fast shots in table tennis will cleave the air at speeds up to 100 miles an hour. The speed of fast deliveries by Larwood, the great English fast bowler, was computed at 90 miles per hour and crack baseball pitchers would probably achieve that speed, too.