Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Whaling Journal of Captain W. B. Rhodes: Barque Australian of Sydney 1836 - 1838

Barque 'Australian,' W. B. Rhodes, Master, from off Eooa towards the Kermadec Isles and Three Kings and from thence to the westward towards the coast of New Holland cruising after Sperm Whales

page 31

Barque 'Australian,' W. B. Rhodes, Master, from off Eooa towards the Kermadec Isles and Three Kings and from thence to the westward towards the coast of New Holland cruising after Sperm Whales

Wednesday November 30th 1836. Light breezes and calms first part; latter steady Northerly breeze. At noon the island of Eooa dist. 30 miles. Lat. 21° 25′ S.

Thursday December 1st. Steady Northly breeze and fine weather. Shortened sail during the night. Tamar in company. Saw nothing but birds and small fish. Lat. 21° 51′, Long. 174° 46′.

Friday December 2nd. Wind as yesterday. At daylight saw P'Astarts18 or Solo Isle bearing W.S.W.

Saturday December 3rd. Light Northerly breeze and fine weather. Hove to off the P'Astarts. At daylight stood for the island. At 8 three canoes came off to the ship. At 9.30 I went on shore with Capt. Clapham.

Sunday December 4th. Steady breezes and fine weather. Ship cruising off the island. At 5 p.m. returned page 32on board with a quantity of vegetables etc. Hove to for the night, and at 9 a.m. went on shore again. Lat. at Noon 22° 35′ S.

Monday December 5th. p.m. Steady breezes, ship standing towards the island. At 4.30 returned on board. P'Astarts Isle is in Lat. 22° 23′ S., Long. 175° 49′ W. It is very high but of small extent, being only about 3 or 4 miles in circumference. The landing is both difficult and dangerous even in fine weather, and can only be accomplished in the native canoes. The settlement is on a small flat on the summit of the island, and it is difficult to climb up to it the mountain being nearly perpendicular. Having arrived, we were introduced into the Spirit House or Town Hall and found the Chief, a venerable old man, and most of the natives assembled to receive us. We found the natives very friendly and obliging, and procured some pumpkins, sweet potatoes &c. in exchange for clothing and calico. They have but little refreshment to supply to shipping and are not disposed to let it go very cheap. There is 75 souls on the isle, but principally consisting of children. They are a colony from Tongataboo and have not been more than 20 years on the isle. Cocoa-nut trees and most tropical plants are cultivated. They live entirely on fruits and vegetables, and are an interesting and industrious people. What few young girls there are, are very good-looking. They are not to be procured except by those masters who have often visited the island. Indeed there are only two that have been allowed; and they are considered as wives and kept taboo'd. Captain Brin is the person who first succeeded, and has to pay pretty handsomely to support his lady. She is a fine girl and daughter page 33to the Chief. One white man has resided on the island five years and is married to a young native girl.

Tuesday December 6th. Steady breeze and cloudy, steering to the Southward. Rose a school of blackfish. Lowered 3 boats. I got fast but the iron drew. Lat. 24° 22′ S. Long. 175° 36′ W.

Wednesday December 7th. Steady N.E. breeze and cloudy. Steering S. by E. At 5 p.m. Captain Clapham came on board. Hove to for the night. Kept a good look out but saw nothing but small fish and birds.

Thursday December 8th. Northerly breeze with, heavy rain, thunder and lightning. Tamar in company.

Friday December 9th. Moderate breeze. At 2 p.m. I went on board the Tamar, and at 8 returned. Shortened sail for the night. Noon, light Westerly breeze. Lat. obsd. 26° 34′ S., Long. 177° 31′ W.

Saturday December 10th. Light breezes and cloudy throughout, saw nothing but small fish. Lat. 27° 20′, Long. 176° 24′.

Sunday December 11th. p.m. Light breeze and cloudy. At 5 p.m. the Capt. of the Tamar came on board, and informed me he intended to proceed direct to the Bay of Islands to refresh. In consequence we determined to part company. I placed letters under his charge for Sydney and England. At 10 a.m. lowered after blackfish. Returned without success. Lat. 27° 34′ S., Long. 176° 54′ W.

Monday December 12th. Light breeze and fine weather. Kept a good look out. Saw nothing. Noon, Lat. obsd. 27° 43′, Long. 177° 7′ W.

Tuesday December 13th. Brisk winds with passing squalls. Saw nothing. Lat. 27° 37′, Long. 179° 0′ W.

page 34

Wednesday December 14th. Strong winds with heavy sea. Latter part light airs and fine. Saw nothing. It is very discouraging to be so long without whales. Lat. 28° 4′, Long. 180°.

Thursday December 15th. Variable winds and fine weather. Watch employed as most useful. Lat. 29° 07′ S., Long. 178° 6′ W.

Friday December 16th. Fresh breezes and cloudy, saw nothing.

Saturday December 17th. Moderate Southerly wind and thick cloudy weather. At 2 p.m. saw Sunda island19 bearing East. Shortened sail during the night. At 5 a.m. I left the ship and proceeded towards the island, effecting a landing through a heavy surf on the West, and at the bottom of a bay about 3 miles deep. To my surprise I found a settler of the name of Read on it with his wife, a New Zealand woman, 3 children and two New Zealand boys. They had been landed on the island by the Cheviot2 six weeks previously. Six of the Cheviot's men also were on the isle having deserted from that vessel. During the short time James Read had been on the isle he had cleared several acres of land and planted some potatoes, cabbages, pumpkins and other useful vegetables, which were all thriving. He appears to be very industrious and will no doubt in a short time be enabled to supply any vessels that may touch there. I took some mandarin orange, pummy apple, chillie and other seeds on shore (intending to have planted them myself, not imagining page 35any person was on the island) which I presented to the settler. He has located himself on the margin of a freshwater lagoon about a quarter of a mile from the beach. There is an abundance of wood as well as water, but the heavy surf will generally make it difficult for shipping to get those articles. There is very little land on the island fit for cultivation, it being very mountainous. The six sailors and the settler had entirely subsisted on an aquatic bird which they called a mutton bird, and cabbage tree. The former are numerous on the isle, and are picked up off the ground without any attempt to make an escape. There is also an abundance of parrots, pigeons and other birds on the island, which may be easily caught in the trees by afixing a noose to the end of a stick. They are not yet sufficiently acquainted to dread their destructive enemy, man. A few goats and pigs are also on the isle but I did not see any of them. I did not sound the bay, but imagine a ship might find a proper depth to anchor in. If so, it would be sheltered from the Northerly winds, but as the winds generally prevail from the Southward and Eastward it is not a safe place to anchor at. The six sailors were very desirous to be taken on board my vessel. I shipped two of them, Hugh Anderson and I. Evoy. I wanted the settler to go on board in his boat, but in launching her she was upset and damaged by the surf. About Noon I succeeded in launching my boat safely and proceeded towards the ship.

Sunday December 18th. At 3.30 p.m. arrived on board. Midnight light airs and calms. Daylight moderate breeze and fine weather. Steering to the Southward. At 9 a.m. South end of Sunday isle N.W. by N., both ends page 36in one, distant about 4 miles. Islets of the North end N.N.E., dist. about 10 miles. I made it in Lat. 29° 12 (S., Long. 178° 28 (W.

Monday December 19th. Moderate Easterly wind and fine weather. At 2 p.m. saw what is generally called by the whalers Green Island.21 During the night light airs and calms. At 10 a.m. two boats quitted the ship to proceed on shore in charge of the Mate and myself. Saw blackfish and small fish.

Tuesday December 20th. Light airs and calms throughout. I found a good and safe boat harbour on the North end of Green island, and aquatic birds innumerable, with abundance of eggs. The surface of the isle is burrowed all over (and appears like an honeycomb) by the birds, and the soil is so loose that a step can scarcely be taken without sinking up to the knees in the burrows. There are a few stunted trees and a little wild parsley and other herbage on the most elevated part, which is the South end, and abounds with goats and pigs. Macauley's isle (or Rocks)22 are seen plainly from Green island, bearing South from it at the distance of 11 or 12 leagues. Ship becalmed about 7 miles off the South end Green island. Mutton birds are in such abundance, and so easily procured, having nothing more to do than take them from their burrows or pick them up off the ground—they do not make the least effort to escape—that shiploads might be procured. At 8 p.m. the two boats got alongside the ship, having procured 7 goats, an abundance of birds and eggs, and page 37some fish. Hove the ship to for the night. Daylight, calms. At 8 a.m. allowed two other boats to go on shore at Green island. At noon Green island South end N. ¼ W., distance about 7 miles, Macauley's Rocks South, dist. about 9 leagures.

Wednesday December 21st. Light airs and calms. At 7 p.m. the boats returned, bringing two pigs, a quantity of birds and eggs with some fish. Steered to the S.W. with a light S.E. wind. Made Green isle in Latitude 30° 8 (S., Long. 177° 44 (W. Lat. obsd. at noon 30° 24 (S., Long. 178° 12 (W.

Thursday December 22nd. Light airs next to calms. Kept a good look out but saw nothing worthy of notice. The goats procured at Green island were miserably poor, and the pigs from their fishy flavour, could not be eaten—no doubt caused by their subsisting on the flesh of aquatic birds. No water was seen on the island, although the crew traversed it in every part. Lat. obsd. 30° 41 (S., Long. 178° 44 (W.

Friday December 23rd. Light breeze and fine. At 4.30 saw blackfish. Lowered the boats after them. At 6 returned without success. Lat. obsd. 31° 22 (S., Long. 178° 48 (W.

Saturday December 24th. Light airs and calms. At 4 saw the French Rock bearing E. by N., distance 8 or 9 leagues. Daylight, light S.E. winds. Saw a sail to windward. Noon, French Rock East. It answers for Brind's Rock on the chart, with the exception of a reef in the vicinity. I believe there is no other dangers nor any more islands than Sunda, Green and Macauley's which form the Kermadec or Curtis Group, although page 38numerous islands and dangers are marked on the charts.

Sunday December 25th. Light airs next to calms. At 4 saw spouts. Lowered three boats. At 5.30 the boats returned, not having seen anything either from the boats or ship since the first time. Having had such bad luck for so long a period we did not much enjoy our Christmas. Lat. 31° 38° S., Long. 179° 29 (W.

Monday December 26th. Variable light winds. Saw grampuses and small fish. Lat. obsd. 32° 12 (S.

Tuesday December 27th. Light variable contrary winds. Saw nothing worthy of notice. Lat. obsd. 32° 25 (S., Long. 179° 17 (W.

Wednesday December 28th. First part variable winds and cloudy. At 4 p.m. saw spouts to leeward. Ran down towards them and hove to. At 5.30 filled the main yard, having seen nothing more of them. Latter part moderate S.W. wind. Lat. obsd. 32° 05 (S.

Thursday December 29th. Fresh S.W. wind and fine weather. At 4 a.m. rose a large school of sperm whales astern going to leeward. Wore ship after them. At 5 lowered all the boats. At sunset gave up the chase, whales going too fast. At 8 the boats returned.

Friday December 30th. Strong S.W. winds and squally weather. Saw nothing. Lat. obsd. 32° 4 (S.

Saturday December 31st. Strong S.W. winds and cloudy, with a heavy head sea. Ship under double-reefed sails. Lat. obsd. 31° 53 (S.

Sunday January 1st, 1837. Begins fresh breezes and fine weather. Mustered the crew. As an inducement to keep a better look out I promised a gratuity of one pound to any seaman or boy who first reports whales, page 39providing they should afterwards be caught, and to any officer who shall report the greatest number of whales I promised him a watch on the conclusion of the voyage. Lat. 31° 52 (S., Long. 178° 36 (E.

Monday January 2nd. Steady breeze and fine, steering to the Southward. Saw several sunfish and other fish. Reminded the officers and crew of the bad effects of sitting down carelessly at the mast head, which is very much to the detriment of the voyage. Lat. 32° 35 (S.

Tuesday January 3rd. Moderate contrary winds and fine weather. Saw nothing worthy of notice. I feel very uncomfortable at our bad luck. Long. 178° 39 (E., Lat. 32° 37(.

Wednesday January 4th. First part light airs next to calms. Saw several grampuses breaching. At 3 saw white water. Lowered two boats. At 6 the boats returned without success. At 10 p.m. the wind hauled round to the Southward. Lat. 32° 23(, Long. 178° 24 (E.

Thursday January 5th. Light Southerly wind, saw some grampuses. Lat. obsd. 32° 11 (S.

Friday January 6th. Strong Northerly breeze. Latter part hard gale. Got the waste boats in on deck. Saw nothing. Lat. obsd. 33°42 (Long. 174° 54 (E.

Saturday January 7th. Hard N.E. gale, with a heavy sea; ship pitching and labouring much. Lat. 33° 24 (S.

Sunday January 8th. Light winds and variable, with a heavy confused sea running.

Monday January 9th. At 3 p.m. a breeze sprung up from the Northward. At 8 squally with heavy rain. a.m. moderate. Got the waste boats out. Saw nothing. Lat. 33° 50 (S., Long. 174° 38 (E'

page 40

Tuesday January 10th. First part fresh breeze and cloudy. Saw a spout. At I lowered after it. At 3 the boats returned it being a fin-back. Sunset strong breeze and cloudy. Wind W.N.W. At daylight saw the land about the North Cape, New Zealand bearing South by W., a strange sail in sight. Saw a spout on the larboard bow. Lowered 3 boats in chase. At 9 came up with a hump-back. At 10 the boats returned; hoisted them up and stood to the Southward. At noon ship astern. North Cape S.W. by S. Lat. 33° 57 (S.

Wednesday January 11th. Fresh breeze and cloudy. At 5 spoke the ship Pusey Hall, of London, out 3 years, 1700 barrels. I went on board. He informed me that he had been cruising during the last month on the West Coast of New Zealand as far as 38 South, and had seen nothing. He had been two seasons on Japan with very indifferent success. At 10 returned on board. Daylight, saw a schooner standing along the land. At noon North Cape W.½ S., dist. 4 or 5 leagues. Lat. 34° 28(, Long. 173° 23 (E.

Thursday January 12th. Fresh W.S.W. gale and cloudy weather. North Cape S.S.W. dist. 4 or 5 leagues.

Friday January 13th. Strong W.S.W. wind and fine weather. At 4 saw a strange sail steering to the Eastward. Daylight, 3 sail in sight. By the North Cape I found the chronometer to have an error of 36 miles West and to be 2h. 55m. 5s. fast of Greenwich, rate 2 (gaining. The land and 3 sail in sight. Lat. 33° 41 (S.

Saturday January 14th. Light S.W. winds throughout. 3 sail in sight. Lat. obsd. 33° 38 (S.

Sunday January 15th. Lowered two boats to go a-fishing and trade at the Three Kings. Found here a page 41Colony of 8 families from the opposite coast. We succeeded in only getting 2 or three baskets of bad potatoes from them; they informed me that all the vessels cruising in the vicinity had done badly.

Monday January 16th. Calm during the night found a strong current setting towards the islands. Lowered all boats to tow at 4 a.m. A light breeze springing up, called the boats alongside. Lat. 34° 20 (S.

Tuesday January 17th, 1837. Light breezes, steering to the West. The Three Kings and two strange sail in sight.

Wednesday January 18th. Light airs at 6 a.m. The Chief Officer of the ship Roslin Castle23 came on board. At 9 I proceeded on board to visit Captain Richards. Lat. 34° 11 (S.

Thursday January 19th. Light breeze and fine weather. The Roslin Castle had procured 700 barrels black and 200 sperm oil since leaving the bays. He had been cruising off the West Coast, and is now bound to the Bay of Islands. Lat. obsd. 33° 49 (S., Long. 170° 00 (E.

n.b. Seeing no further inducement to cruise off the Three Kings determined to steer towards [Lord] Howe's island.

January 31st. At 5.30 p.m. Ball's Pyramid in line with Howe's island bearing N.W. by W., dist. 7 leagues. Since the 20th we saw nothing worthy of notice.

Wednesday February 1st. Strong S.E. gale with heavy sea. Ship hove to under close-reefed main topsail. Saw spouts but could not ascertain of what description. At 8 a.m. saw a breach ahead. At noon, Howe's island N.E. by E.

page 42

February 2nd to 8th. Cruising between Howe's island and Elizabeth reef. Most part strong breezes. Saw nothing but blackfish. At 7 p.m. Howe's Island E. by S. to S.E., dist. 4 leagues. At daylight saw a strange sail. Lat. obsd. 31° 30(, Long. 157° 20 (E.

February 9th. Steady Easterly wind. Altered the course to N.W. by W. intending to stand in close to the coast of New Holland. Lat. 30° 32(, Long. 155° 44 (E.

February 10th to 17th. Most part hard Easterly gales with a heavy sea. Boats well secured. During this time, had we seen whales it would not have been prudent to lower, the ship steering to the Northward under all the sail she could carry to keep clear of the coast. Lat. obsd. 24° 37 (S., Long. by chronometer 158° 3 (E.

Saturday February 18th. First part hard S.W. gales. At 4 p.m. saw spouts to windward; too much sea to lower boats. I now intend standing to the Eastward and towards the Bay of Islands to refresh. Lat. 25° 31 (S., Long. 160° 26 (E.

February 19th to 25th. Variable winds and weather. Kept a good look out, but saw nothing worthy of notice, excepting blackfish and porpoises. Lat. obsd. 26° 55 (S., Long. 160° 19 (E.

Sunday February 26th. Light Westerly winds and fine weather. At 1 p.m. saw spouts ahead. Lowered 3 boats after them. At 5 the boats returned, whales going too fast. Lat. obsd. 27° 28 (S., Long. 160° 50 (E.

February 27th and 28th. Fresh S.E. breeze and fine weather. Saw nothing. Lat. 26° 41 (S., Long 163° 35 (E.

March 1st. Fresh Easterly winds. Saw nothing.

page 43

March 2nd. Fresh breeze and cloudy. At daylight light winds and fine. Saw a spout ahead 5 miles distant. At 7 a.m. spout 2 miles off. Lowered 3 boats. At 9 the whale rose close to the ship. The Captain lowered his boat and at 11 got fast, but shortly after his iron drew. Afterwards the 3rd Mate and then the 2nd Mate got up alongside the whale and darted, but did not fasten. It was through carelessness or bad management that the whale was not secured. Noon, boats in chase, the whale going to the N.W.

Friday March 3rd. At sunset the boats returned without success. Shortened sail and stood towards the N.E. At 6 a.m. breeze sprung up from the S.E.

Saturday March 4th. Steady Southerly breeze, standing E. by S. Employed painting ship inside. Saw nothing.

Sunday March 5th. At 3 p.m. saw a spout off the starboard beam about a mile off. Lowered three boats. At 2 p.m. the Mate got fast, and at 4 got the whale alongside. Shortened sail and secured the whale for the night. It was a source of great gratification to have caught a whale, which we estimate at 76 barrels, after more than four months' tedious cruising since the last.

Monday March 6th. Light breeze and fine weather. At sunset got the body in and secured the head astern for the night, and began to boil out the blubber. Daylight saw a strange sail standing towards us.

Tuesday March 7th. Saw a spout about three miles off (and near the barque which proved to be the Harriet). Lowered two boats at 1.30. The Harriet's boats page 44fastened to, and killed, a large whale. At 2 p.m. our boats returned. At 4 p.m. I went on board the Harriet and ascertained she was six weeks out of Sydney, the above being the first whale. At 9 a.m. saw spouts close to the Harriet. Lowered two boats. The Harriet's boats got fast and killed a 40-barrel bull whale. Our boats returned, and hoisted them up. Lat. 27° 2 (S., Long 164° 3 (East.

March 8 & 9th. Light airs and fine weather. The Harriet in company boiling out. At sunset finished boiling out.

March 10th & 11th. Fresh Easterly breeze and squally. Steering to the Southward. At 5 p.m. finished stowing oil. Lat. obsd. 28° 11 (S., Long 164° 20 (E.

March 12th to 18th. Most part moderate Easterly winds and fine weather. Saw blackfish and small fish at intervals. Lat. 31° 40(, Long. 170° 57 (E.

Sunday March 19th. Steady breezes and cloudy; standing to the S.E. At 3 p.m. saw a spout at the starboard bow about 5 miles dist. At 3.15 lowered the boats after them, whales going fast to windward. At sunset the boats returned without success. Lat. obsd. 30° 48 (S.

March 20th. Steady Northerly breeze; steering to the S.E. Ground lively. Noon, cloudy.

Tuesday March 21st. Steady breezes and cloudy, with rain; steering S.E. Wind N.N.W. Night, shortened sail. At 6.30 saw spouts on the larboard beam. Lowered the boats after the. At 9 got fast. The whale sounded, and the iron drew out. At 11.30 the boats returned without success. No observation.

page 45

Wednesday March 22nd. p.m. Fresh breeze and cloudy. At 1.30 p.m. saw whales. Lowered the boats after them. At p.m. got fast to a large whale (3rd Mate). At 6 took the whale alongside and secured it for the night. Daylight, began to cut in the whale. 2 sail in sight.

Thursday March 23rd. p.m. Steady breezes, with passing showers of rain. At 7 finished cutting in, and at 10 began to boil out. At 8 a.m. saw the land about the North Cape. A sail in sight.

Friday March 24th. 0 (30 (p.m. saw a large school of whales. Lowered 3 boats after them. A brig in company. Whales going fast. At 3 the boats returned without success, a.m. light Northerly breeze. Employed boiling out. Lat. 33° 59(, Long. 173° 31 (E.

Saturday March 25th. Light airs and fine. At sunset saw the land bearing South. At 2.30 a.m. finished boiling out.

Sunday March 26th. p.m. Strong increasing N.N.W. wind, with cloudy weather. Hoisted the lee boats up to the davit heads, a.m. Hard gale, reduced sail to a close-reefed main topsail. At 7 a heavy sea washed away the larboard quarter boat. At 8 the wind shifted suddenly round to the Westward. Wore ship to the N.N.W. Noon, hard gales, ship labouring much. Lat. 34° 45(, Long. 174° 25(.

Monday March 27th. p.m. Continuous hard gales. Sent down the top-gallant yards. At 2 more moderate, and at 4 made sail. Sunset, light airs and clear, wind N.W. Midnight, fresh gale and cloudy with rain. Daylight, page 46began to break out the hold for stowing down oil. Noon, fresh gale and clear weather. Employed stowing down oil. Lat. obsd. 35° 44(, Long. 174° 25 (E.

Tuesday March 28th. p.m. Fresh Westerly gale and cloudy. At 5.30 finished stowing down oil (—) barrels. Midnight, fresh breeze and squally. At 9 a.m. spoke the Pantheon, Capt. Pell, out 18 months. The last 8 months they had picked up 800 barrels off Vasque Isle. The Captain came on board to endeavour to get a boat from us, having lost three of his boats during the late gale on the 26th inst. Lat. obsd. 34° 56(, Long. 175° 12 (E.

Wednesday March 29th. Moderate breeze and fine weather. The Captain of the Pantheon determined to proceed to the Bay of Islands for boats. At 5 p.m. saw the land about Cape Bren bearing W.S.W. dist. about 10 leagues. Wind W.N.W. Having had such bad luck, I determined to take a look off the North Cape again and endeavour to get another whale before going into the Bay. a.m. Fresh S.W. wind, steering N.E. by N. Lat obsd. 34° 2 (S., Long. 175° 39 (E.

March 30 and 31st. Most part fresh S.W. breeze and fine weather. Ground lively. Saw blackfish and porpoises. Lat. 32° 52 (S., Long. 174° 42 (E.

April 1st to 3rd. Most part moderate Southerly breeze and fine weather, cruising off the North Cape. Saw nothing worthy of notice. 4 hands sick and off duty. Lat. 32° 44(, Long. 172° 34 (E (on the 2nd).

Tuesday April 4th. p.m. Steady breeze and fine. At 6 a.m. saw a spout to the N.E. Down 3 boats after it. Noon, boats in chase.

page 47

April 5th. At 3 p.m. the Mate got fast, and afterwards got stove. The Capt. then fastened to the whale, leaving the Mate to kill it and then proceeded on board with the Mate's stove boat. The other boats were out of sight chasing whales in another direction. At 4 got the whale killed. Soon after, the other boats appeared, not having been successful. At 5 got the whale alongside, and secured it for the night. We estimate it at 94 barrels; it is the finest whale we have yet procured. At daylight, fine weather. Began to cut in the whale. Noon, calm. 3 hands sick. Lat. obsd. 32 (44° S.

April 6th. p.m. Light airs and calms and clear weather. At 6.30 finished cutting in the body and secured the head astern for the night, and began to boil out. Daylight, began to take in the junk. Noon, calms. Employed bailing the case. Saw spouts to the N.W. Three hands sick.

Friday April 7th. Fine weather throughout. p.m. Got the junk cut up and things secured about the decks. Watch employed boiling out the junk. Noon, lowered a boat and got a sun-fish. Lat. 32° 47 (S.

Saturday April 8th. Light Northerly wind. At 3 p.m. saw black-skin about 3 miles off. Lowered two boats. At 4.30 the boats returned. Saw a school of blackfish. Watch employed boiling out the whale. Saw a fin-back. 3 hands sick.

Sunday April 9th. p.m. Steady breezes and fine. Finished boiling out the whale. Saw the land bearing S.W. Steering S.E., wind N.E. Sunset shortened sail to close-reefed topsails, and hauled to the wind. Daylight, began to break out the main hatchway. Employed stowing page 48down oil. Noon, fresh Northerly breeze, ship steering to the Eastward. Point Pocock S. by E., dist. 10 leagues.

Monday April 10th. First part fresh breezes and cloudy. Employed stowing down oil. Steering to the Eastward. Wind N.N.E. Noon, strong breeze and cloudy; finished stowing down the oil. Wore ship to the W.N.W. Wind North. 2 hands sick. Lat. obsd. 35° 00 (S.

Tuesday April 11th. Strong breezes and cloudy employed cleaning the decks and other necessary work. a.m. Do. weather. Daylight, made sail and stood towards the land. At 10 spoke the George Clinton, of Hudson, bound to the Bay of Islands. Lamb & Dickson sick, Lat. 34° 37 (S., Long. 174° 24 (E.

Wednesday April 12th. p.m. Fresh breeze and cloudy. At 3 a.m. saw the land, and at 5 shortened sail to close-reefed topsails and stood off and on for the night. Point Pocock bearing South. Daylight, made sail and stood towards the Bay of Islands. At 8 bent cables and got the anchors clear. At noon fresh breeze and fine; saw three vessels beating out of the Bay. Cape Brett E. by S., Point Pocock S.W. ½ W. At 2.30 p.m. spoke the barque Achilles of London, out 2 years, 800 barrels of sperm oil. At 3 Mr. Mayers came on board; at 4 anchored near Mr. Clendon's Point in the Bay of Islands in 7 fthms. water, with the small bower. Gave her 50 fthms. chain. Found 10 vessels at anchor. This log contains 36 hours.

18 Ata, southernmost of the Tonga Islands, named Pylstart by Tasman.

19 Sunday Island.

2 ° The Cheviot, an English whaler, had spent the 'Bay' season at Cloudy Bay and had lost several men there by desertion (McNab's footnote).

21 This was Macauley Island in the Kermadec Group.

22 Rhodes means merely Macauley's Rock, as Green Island itself was Macauley's Isle.

23 Roslyn Castle.