The Kia ora coo-ee : the magazine for the ANZACS in the Middle East, 1918
A Sinai Temple
A Sinai Temple.
Many Light Horsemen who were camped at Hassaniya, or Mageibra, will remember Sargai Temple, the only building of the kind that was seen during the push across the Peninsula. It is situated some ten or twelve miles from the railway near t and seven miles from H. ssaniya —a wondrous relic of the folk who dwelt in those desolate regions long centuries ago. The architecture of the building compares favourably with that of some at Luxor and Karnak the masonry being cut in exquisite designs. It is probable that the surrounding districts were as thickly populated and as fertile as Southern Palestine is to-day, and that this Temple became a centre of attraction to ad residents, and travellers passing from Palestine to Egvpt. There is proof of former inhabitant, in the ruins of Katia. The distance from Katia to Sargai is only about twentv miles—to Desert travellers a mere walk—and periodical trips would be made to the Temple The country is not uninteresting; in parts it is scrubby, and the hods contain groups of fine date palms. Wells in some of the hods give a plentiful supply of water. In the distance are the limestone mountains, which extend northwards to Palestine. Some sandy ridges are quite bare and loose, restless as the sea, though somewhat slower. On windy days you may notice, at the crest of each, a spray of sand where particles, hustled up from the base, are shot over in a steady stream, to fall again immediately to leeward; thus the waves of sand roll onwards before prevailing winds.