Important Judgments: Delivered in the Compensation Court and Native Land Court. 1866–1879.
On the 29th of January 1840, Captain Hobson landed at the Bay of Islands. In February following, the Treaty of Waitangi was made, and on the 21st of May the sovereignty of her Majesty was proclaimed over the British Island of New Zealand.page 80
The remaining part of the history of our case is of little importance, and I will therefore again read from my epitome.
- Sept. 13.—First vessel, "Planter," with Mr. Terry and Mr. Roberton(witness) anchors at Auckland.
- Sept. 16.—Captain Stewart's vessel, "Anna Watson," arrives with Mr. Shearer (witness).
- Sept. 19.—British flag hoisted at Fort Britomart by Captain Symonds, assisted by Te Reweti and others.
- Oct. I.—Captain J. J. Symonds arrives from Bay of Islands in the "Ranger" cutter.
- Nov. 27.—Ship "Diana" arrives with Mr. G. Graham (witness) and troops.