Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1898.

[Nos. 163, 164, 165, 166, and 265.—Petitions of J. Townley and 1,301 Others (Settlers of East Coast and Poverty Bay), the Gisborne Borough Council, the Cook County Council, the Gisborne Harbour Board, and Komene te Ito and 128 Others.]

Nos. 163, 164, 165, 166, and 265.—Petitions of J. Townley and 1,301 Others (Settlers of East Coast and Poverty Bay), the Gisborne Borough Council, the Cook County Council, the Gisborne Harbour Board, and Komene te Ito and 128 Others.

Petitioners pray that an Act may be passed to give relief to the Native owners interested in the East Coast Native trust lands by providing for a Board to take over and deal with the same in such manner as will insure bond fide settlement.

I am directed to report that, having considered the Bill introduced to provide legislation in the above direction, the Committee has no recommendation to make with regard to the above-mentioned petitions.

20th September, 1898.

[Translation.]
Nos. 163, 164, 165, 166, me 265.—Pitihana a J. Townley me etahi atu kotahi mano e toru rau ma tahi (tangata o te Tai-Rawhiti me Turanganui), a Te Paro Kaunihera o Kihipane a Te Kaute Kaunihera o Kuka, a te Poari mo nga Waapu me nga Turanga Kaipuke o Kihipane, me Komene te Ito me etahi atu kotahi rau e rua tekau ma waru.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia paahitia he Ture hei whakaora i nga Maori e whai-paanga ana ki nga Whenua Tiaki o te Tai-Rawhiti, ara, me whakatu he Poari hei tango atu a hei whakahaere i aua whenua i runga i tetahi tikanga e tino pono ai te whakanohonoho o aua whenua ki te tangata.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, i te mea kua hurihuria te Pire i whakaurua nei hei whakatakoto ture e tutuki ai nga tikanga kua kiia ake nei, na reira kaore te Komiti e whai-kupu mo runga i nga pitihana kua whakahuatia ake nei.

20 o Hepetema, 1898.