Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1898.

[No. 45.—Petition of William Humphries.]

No. 45.—Petition of William Humphries.

Petitioner prays that he be compensated for losses incurred in connection with certain transactions in Native lands (Raimoiti, Ratahangai, and Purakau Blocks, Taranaki District), such loss having occurred through defects in the law; also that further legislation be passed to validate certain titles to Native lands acquired by himself and others.

I am directed to report that this petitioner's claim was considered in 1896, and in consequence of recommendations then made legislation was passed to give redress, but owing to the Supreme Court having decided that such legislation was insufficient the petitioner did not gain relief. The Committee recommends that further legislation be introduced this session to give the petitioner the relief prayed for.

2nd August, 1898.

[Translation.]
No. 45.—Pitihana a William Humphries.

E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia utua ia mo nga mate i pa ki a ia i runga i etahi whakahaerenga whenua Maori, ara, i nga poraka o Raimoiti, Ratahangai me Purakau, Takiwa o Taranaki i te mea i pa aua mate ki a ia i runga i etahi hapanga o te ture. A e tono ana hoki ia kia paahitia he ture hei whakamana i nga tiwhikete o etahi whenua Maori i hokona e ratou ko etahi atu tangata.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, i whiriwhiria ano te kereeme a tenei kai-pitihana i te tau 1896, a paahitia ana he ture i runga i te whakatau o taua tau hei whakaora i te mate o te kaipitihana, otira i te mea kua whakataua e te Hupirimi Kooti kei te ngehe taua ture i paahitia ra na reira kihai i taea te whakaora o te mate o te kai-pitihana. Heoi ki te whakaaro o te Komiti me whakahaere he ture hou i tenei huihuinga o te Paremete hei whakaora i te mate e inoitia nei e te kai-pitihana.

2 o Akuhata, 1898.