Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1897.

[No. 36.—Petition of Daniel James McEwen.]

No. 36.—Petition of Daniel James McEwen.

Petitioner complains that, owing to the retrospective nature of "The Native Equitable Owners Act, 1886," he is unable to complete the purchase of the Paparoa Block, Kaipara District, and prays for redress.

I am directed to report that this Committee sympathises with the petitioner in the hardships he has suffered, but, inasmuch as he failed to acquaint himself with the provisions of the law before he acquired his supposed right to purchase, there is no recommendation to make.

3rd December, 1897.

[Translation.]
No. 36.—Pitihana a Daniel James McEwen.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana i runga i te hokinga whakamuri o nga tikanga o "Te Ture Maori Whakapumau Take Tika, 1886," e kore e taea e ia te whakaoti o tana hoko mo te Paparoa Poraka, Takiwa o Kaipara, a e inoi ana ia kia whakaorangia tona mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei, kei te aroha te Komiti ki te kai-pitihana i runga i ona mate, otira i te mea kihai ia i ata whakamohio i a ia ki nga aronga o te ture i mua atu i tana whakahaerenga i tana hoko mo taua whenua, heoi kaore kau a te Komiti kupu.

3 o Tihema, 1897.