Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1894.

[No. 101.—Petition of Ropiha Taurua Rangihaukori and others.]

No. 101.—Petition of Ropiha Taurua Rangihaukori and others.

Petitioners pray that a promise made in 1867 to give them a reserve between the Patea and Whenuakura Rivers be given effect to.

I am directed to report—(1.) That the promise by Mr. J. C. Richmond to Taurua, in 1867, of land between Whenuakura and Patea was made conditional upon Taurua and his people remaining loyal. (2.) That Taurua and his people did not so remain loyal, but joined the Titokowaru outbreak in 1868-69. (3.) That, after the war was over and peace restored, the Government specially considered the interests of Taurua. (4.) That the Royal Commission, known as the "Fox Commission," took the case of Taurua and his people into especial consideration, and made them grants of land which, under all the circumstances, was considered sufficient for their use and maintenance.

The Committee therefore think that this claim has been fully satisfied, and have no recommendation to make. 1

21st August, 1894.

[Translation. ]
No. 101.—Pitihana a Ropiha Taurua Rangihaukori me etahi atu.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakaritea te kupu whakaae i whakapuakina i te tau 1867 kia wehea he whenua rahui mo ratou i waenganui i te Awa o Patea me te Awa o Whenuakura.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: (1.) Ko te kupu whakaae a Te Retimana ki a Taurua i te tau 1867 mo te whenua i waenganui i Whenuakura me Patea i whakaputaina i runga i te tikanga me piri pono tonu a Taurua ratou ko tona iwi ki te Kawanatanga. (2.) Kihai a Taurua ratou ko tono iwi i piri pono tonu ki te Kawanatanga, ina hoki i te aranga o te whawhai i timata mai nei te tau 1868 tae mai ki te tau 1869, uru ana ratou ki roto ki a Titokowaru. (3.) I muri i te whawhai, i te maunga o te rongo, i ata whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga nga take o Taurua. (4.) I ata tirotirohia e te Roiera Komihana e kiia nei ko te Komihana a Te Pokiha te keehi a Taurua ratou ko tona iwi, a tukua ana he whenua mo ratou, a i whakaarohia i nui aua whenua hei oranga mo ratou.

Heoi ki te whakaaro o te Komiti kua rite noa atu tenei kereeme, a kahore he kupu a te Komiti mo tenei pitihana.

21 Akuhata, 1894.