Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1890.

[No. 118, 1890.—Petition of Thomas Hawkins Smith.]

No. 118, 1890.—Petition of Thomas Hawkins Smith.

Petitioner solicits the return of a sum of money expended by him in the purchase of Native lands, and for compensation for losses alleged to have been sustained through the wrongful acts of Government.

I am directed to report as follows: That this petition was reported upon last year as follows: "That the petition was reported upon last year, and a reasonable rate of interest recommended. The Committee are of opinion that the £30 offered as interest is not sufficient, and would therefore recommend that the amount of interest be increased to £50, £100 in all, as a final settlement of this claim." Therefore the Committee has no farther recommendation to make.

5th August, 1890.

[Translation.]
No. 118, 1890.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tamati Hakini Mete.

E tono ana te kai-pitihana kia whakahokia ki aia ana moni i utua e ia mo te hoko i tetahi piihi whenua i nga Maori hei whakaea hoki i ana moni i ngaro i runga i mahi he a te Kawanatanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: I tukuna ano he ripoata mo runga i tenei pitihana i te tau kua hori nei a i tono te Komiti kia tukua nga moni e tika ana hei whakaea i nga hua o ana moni. A e whakaaro ana te Komiti ko nga moni e toru tekau pauna i meatia kia utua ki aia kihai i ranea me te tono ano kia whakanekehia ake ki te £50 hei whakaea i aua hua, a hui katoa ka tae ki te £100 hei whakaoti i tana tono. Heoi kahore he kupu ke atu a te Komiti.

5 o Akuhata, 1890.