Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1888.

[No. 281.—Petition of Hoani Ruru and 89 Others.]

No. 281.—Petition of Hoani Ruru and 89 Others.

Petitioners pray that Te Kooti may not be allowed to enter Turanga, Gisborne, on account of his misdeeds in that place formerly.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee can only reiterate the report made on the petition of Te Hautakuru this session, which is as follows: "That the Committee fully sympathizes with the petitioners, and believes they suffer a severe hardship through the monthly meetings of of Te Kooti's followers at their various settlements, resulting as it does in estranging families, disturbing the tranquillity of settlement, impoverishing the people by a wholesale consumption of their food, and exhausting all their resources. It ia therefore recommended that the Government will do their utmost to prevent such meetings, by introducing such legislation as shall enable the Government to forbid what is a deliberate and crafty system of 'loafing' upon the resources of the thrifty and well-disposed Natives."

10th July, 1888

[Translation.]
No. 281.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hoani Ruru me etahi atu 89.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia, kaua a Te Kooti e tukuna kia haere ki Turanga. i runga hoki i ana mahi kino i roto i taua takiwa i mua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Heoi ano ta te Komiti he whakahua ano i tana ripoata mo runga mo te pitihana a Te Hautakuru o tenei Paremete ano ara e penei ana: "E aroha ana te Komiti ki nga kai-pitihana no te mea e mahara ana ratou kei to tau tetahi mate ki runga i nga kaipitihana i runga i nga mahi haerere o nga ope a Te Kooti ki nga tini kainga whakararururu ai me te whakapohara haere i nga hapu i runga i te pau o a ratou kai. No reira e tono ana te Komiti i te Kawanatanga kia uaua ratou ki te arai i a Te Kooti i runga i te hanga i tetahi Ture kia ahei ai te Kawanatanga te arai i a Te Kooti i runga i aua tikanga tinihanga whakapau haere i nga kai a te hunga mamahi a te hunga noho pai."

10 Hurae, 1888