Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1888.

[No. 134.—Petition of W. H. Taipari.]

No. 134.—Petition of W. H. Taipari.

Petitioner states that certain block of land called Kauaeranga, containing about 20 acres, forming part of the Town of Shortland, was investigated by the Native Land Court in 1869, before Judge Fenton, and a Crown grant was directed to be issued in favour of petitioner and two others; that afterwards a rehearing took place, and the land was awarded to another person. He prays that the decision given at that rehearing may not be given effect to.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee finds great difficulty in treating with cases of this character, especially when they have reached the stage this has, "With the view of placing these things on a more satisfactory footing, it is suggested that the Government create a properly-constituted tribunal to act as an Appeal Court from the decision of the Native Laud Court; and, in the meantime, this petition be referred to the Government, pending any steps they may take in the direction suggested.

21st June, 1888

[Translation.]
No. 134.—Pukapuka.—inoi a W. H. Taipari.

E ki ana to kai-pitihana i whakawakia tetahi piihi whenua e karangatia ana ko Kauaeranga e Tiati Penetana ki te aroaro o te Kooti Whenua Maori i te tau 1869 ko te rahi o taua whenua e 20 eka he wahi no te taone o Hoterini, a i whakatauta kia whakaputaina he Karauna karaati ki te kai-pitihana me etahi atu tokorua. A i muri iho ka whakawakia tuaruatia a whakataua ana he tangata ke, na e inoi ana ia kia kaua e whakamana taua whakawakanga tuarua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: He mea uaua rawa ki te Komiti te whakatau i tetahi tikanga e tino mana ai nga keehi penei ara i te mea kua tae tenei keehi ki tona ahua o naianei. A e meatia ana kia tonoa te Kawanatanga kia whakaturia tetahi Kooti whai mana motuhake hei whakawa i nga tono whakahe i nga whakataunga a te Kooti Whenua Maori. A inaianei me tuku tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga i runga i te mea tera ratou e whiriwhiria i nga whakahau a te Komiti.

21 o Hune, 1888