Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1888.

[No. 4.—Petition of N. Hearn and J. Kennedy.]

No. 4.—Petition of N. Hearn and J. Kennedy.

Petitioners pray that certain sections of land in the Okutuku Block, which they have leased, may be placed on the same footing as those holding "confirmed" leases, subject to "The West Coast Settlements Reserves Act, 1887."

I am directed to report as follows: That it appears the petitioners are the successors in title of a Mr. Williamson, who held the land under a lease from Natives, which, if it had remained on foot, would now entitle the petitioners to the benefit of "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1887," as on the footing of a "confirmed" lease. The change in the position of the title occurred through the Crown acquiring the freehold of the land from the Natives before issue of a Crown grant, thus necessitating a lease from the Crown, which does not give the petitioners the benefit of their neighbours under the Act which was passed last session. The Committee recommend that fresh legislative provision be made as will put the petitioners on the footing as if their lease was a "confirmed" one, subject to "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1887."

12th June, 1888

[Translation.]
No. 4.—Pukapaka-inoi Haana me Keneri.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana mo etahi tekiona whenua i roto i te Okutuku Poraka i riihitia e ratou kia peratia te whakarite o nga tikanga o ta ratou riihi me nga riihi e puritia tuturutia ana e era i raro o te Ture Whakataunga Rahui o te Tai Hauauru.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Ki te titiro atu he kai whakakapi nga kai-pitihana no Weiremuhana i runga i tana riihi i nga Maori, a mehemea i mau tonu i runga i tau riihi kua ahei nga kai-pitihana te pupuri i taua riihi i raro i nga tikanga o te Ture Whakataunga Rahui o te Tai Hauauru, 1887, pera ano me te riihi tuturu, ko te take i rere ke ai nga tikanga o taua riihi he hokonga na te Kawanatanga i taua whenua i nga Maori i mua o te whakaputanga o te Karati, [unclear: o] reira ka puta te hiahia kia riihitia taua whenua i te Kawanatanga erangi kahore e tuku i te painga kia ratou pera me era e riihi ana i raro o te Ture i paahitia e te Paremete kua hori ake nei. A e tono ana te Komiti kia hanga he Ture hou kia ahei ai te whakatau i te riihi a te kai-pitihana i runga i te riihi tuturu i raro i nga tikanga o te Ture Whakataunga Rahui, 1887.

12 o Hune, 1888