Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1887, No. 2.

[No. 444, Sess. II.—Petition of Te Teira Tiakitai and 7 Others.]

No. 444, Sess. II.—Petition of Te Teira Tiakitai and 7 Others.

Petitioners pray that the title to the Porangahau Block may be reinvestigated for the reasons set forth in their petition.

I am directed to report as follows: That, as there seems to be a wide difference between the original judgment of the Native Land Court in the Porangahau Block and its judgement in the rehearing thereof, and, after viewing the evidence which has been submitted, the Committee consider the application for a further rehearing a reasonable one, and should recommend that it should be granted; and the Committee further strongly recommend that rules should be laid down by the Native Land Court for the guidance of the Judges of that Court in respect to Native custom and usage.

15th December, 1887.

[Translation.]
No. 444, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Te Teira Tiakitai me etahi atu e 7.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: No te mea e rereke rawa ana te whakataunga a tetahi Kooti i tetahi (ara) o te whakataunga tuatahi i te whakataunga tuarua, a i runga i te rongonga ki nga korero i korerotia ki te aroaro o te Komiti e whakaaro aua te Komiti he tono tika te tono kia whakawakia ano taua whenua a e tono ana kia whakawakia ano taua whenua me te tono ano hoki kia whakatakotorea tetahi huarahi whakahaere ma nga Tiati o taua Kooti i runga i nga ritenga me nga tikanga Maori.

15 o Tihema, 1887.